You are here

Loud Hard Drive

makerofvideos's picture

My LaCie hard drive has gotten very loud. What I assume to be the fan will turn loudly for hours. It stops for awhile when I put the computer to sleep or power back up. I've had this drive for two years and, other than making a smooth-sounding spinning noise, it has never done this before.

is this an indication that it's about to crash and burn? I have a long project I'm editing. All the material is in there.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I hav had loud hard drives operate perfectly for years and have had quiet ones fail two days after warranty period expiration (couldn't care less about the drive, I permanently lost data which was crappy).

Whether hard drives are loud or not, it is a VERY good idea to back up data on a regular basis.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Maker,

Been down that road before Hoss. Do as Rob and Bird suggested and back up your media asap. The bearings in the fan are failing or have failed. Check to see if you're still under warranty and get a replacement drive or fan put in by Lacie if you are. I've had drive fans fail before and they always happen at the worst possible time.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

cfulton's picture

Yes, you definitely want to back up anything important from this drive to somewhere else, and quick. Hopefully it is just a fan that is dead or dying and not the actual hard drive. Although usually once a hard drive starts making loud noises, it's too late to do anything to revive it short of paying for data recovery services.