You are here

Lighting and the heat

minniecam's picture

I am about to lose my mind with this. I have a small 1 bedroom and I stream live video feed for my adult webcam site.

I am using 250watt light on those portrait lights, I have 2 of them in a semi V shape. I am wondering how can I keep my lighting quality and keep down on the room temperature so I can broadcast live for about 3 hours at a time. I can barely last an hour. with the lights and the computer and the video camera running.

I wondered if I buy those lamps if it will cut down on the heat because of the position of the lighting i can really move them without losing the quality.

There has to be someone out there who can help with my lighting issue.

If it helps I am using the opus lamps the metal heads. 250 watts each is the minimum.

XTR-91's picture

What type of lighting are you using? If you're using a couple of large-bulb incandescents in a small, crampled area, then there's not much you can do other than boosting the settings on your air conditioning system. LED and Fluorescent lights have higher levels of power effeciency and give off less heat. I'd consider going with an LED set, or a good, mildly-priced set of flueorescent lights instead.

newberry94005's picture

You can also try to "bounce" your lights off of walls and ceiling(assuming your walls are white/grey). That way you can aim them at a wall and raise the bulbs higher towards the celing.

This may cut down on the direct heat onto you and your set. You will also need to readjust your camera, because the light will not be as bright, although it will maintain a softness to it.

Worth a shot!

minniecam's picture

Thanks for the suggestions. Your right I am in a small space so 250 watts for 2 lamps is alot of heat. the camera I am using is Sony Handycam HC62 is the model number.

There is times I end up looking at the light and it hurts my eyes so I think I would have to get the umbrella just to protect my eyes but not really able to change the heat temp. No AC its winter now where I live. I do have fans but they can only do so much without blowing a fuse.

My walls are a light lavender pretty much white maybe I can adjust facing the lamps to the wall and ceiling and still keep the quality of lights.

Coreece's picture

"I stream live video feed for my adult webcam site."

Sounds like you'd want it hot, wouldn't you?

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

"Sounds like you'd want it hot, wouldn't you?"

Coreece,

You're just itching to light that fuse ain't cha'?

Minnie,

You're best bet for cooler lighting is fluorescents. They are cheap and they work quite well for both amateur and pro lighting setups. However, though you can use 'Wal-Mart Specials' be advised that consumer and pro fluor's are different in color temperature and price.Pro bulbs are specifically designed for video work and off the shelf consumer one's aren't.The good news is with some minor adjustments in white balance and exposure you can make your set look like you spent much more money on lights than you did.

If you're using 250w bulbs normally you can use the 200w, 150w or 100w versions to light your set. Just remember the lesser the wattage, the more bulbs and lamp holders you'll need to equal the light you want to use. Get a few 'tin cup' clamp style lamp holders for your bulbs (they're light unpainted aluminum) and they come in s,m, and l. Tin cups are cheap and will clamp onto your existing light stands so you won't have to buy any extra gear to mount them.

For what you're working on you want the m or l tin cups as they will be rated for 60 - 100w. 100 & 150w fluoros' are actually rated at 26 and 42w. Long as you don't put a bulb in a tin cup with actual wattage higher than the cup's max you'll be fine. 200w fluoro's are tricky in that they are huge and you'll have to find a lamp holder it will fit in or use an 'adapter' which can be a pain to find.

The number one thing to remember when using off the shelf fluoro's is their color temperature is going to be less than a straight tungsten bulb or a pro fluorescent. The cool thing is off the shelf fluoro's come in either 'tungsten' actually called 'General Purpose' or 'Indoor' and 'Daylight'. GP color temperature comes in at 2300K and DL at 6500K. You can't miss either because it will be written on the package. Definitely read the package before you buy and get an equal amount of the type you want to use. Do not, I repeat, do not mix the two on set! You will have a nightmare trying to white balance two very different colored lights!

The fluoro's will be bright, buy put out less than half the heat of your traditional tungsten bulbs. Also, tin cups with fluoro's in them are much easier and safer to use diffusion material with. Be advised; fluoro's do get hot so don't use diffusion material that has a good chance of melting and or catching fire!

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

XTR-91's picture

"'I stream live video feed for my adult webcam site.'

Sounds like you'd want it hot, wouldn't you?"

I'll say, but maybe we shouldn't be confused by the vocabulary. BTW, what does the word adult mean in this context?

minniecam's picture

The point of this OP was to ask about lighting systems while I broadcast live video. if you can't stick to the OP then do not post at all.