You are here

Legal Disclaimer at start of DVD

Shaun Laframboise's picture

Hey all,

I'm shooting a lecture video for an organization and they are asking about any standard disclaimer I'll use to start the DVD like they see on other DVDs. Is there anywhere I can go to view some standard ones that might be applicable to my product?

Thanks for you help!!!

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

As it would pertain to ... the content and its copyright? Or that the content thereof doesn't represent authorized or licensed attorney information and the presenters are not to be held liable in the event ... or any use of the information contained is applied at the risk of the person using it, there are no guarantees of equal or similar results as those represented? There may be some people here who can give you the right direction or answer or suggestions, but they'd need to know about WHAT area of "disclaimer" you're seeking, Shaun. ;-)

doublehamm's picture

I apologize if I am mistaken, but even using the term "FBI" in the warning is infringing copyright or legal issues. The logo for sure. I remember a long thread a couple years back going over this and why this is not always a good idea to place info like this at the beginning of your DVD - Do you want to annoy everyone who accesses your DVD? Most people already know it is against the law to reproduce, sell etc. Especially in a wedding video (i know yours is not) I would probably be lynched by the couple if I dared to place that at the beginning of every disc.

Thanks all.. I 'borrowed' a few versions from other products that are out and am having our legal department tweak it (though we don't specialize in this area). Thanks you guys. I'll post what we come up with on this thread in case in can help others.

Birdcat I like what you did with your FBI warning.. it won't feel the 'feel' of what I'm doing as I work with Yoga/Holistic etc. So I'll have to come up with something a tad different, but that may def. be helpful for other projects! Thanks!!

nice! I think the 2nd one'll work. I'll bring it to our design team.. thanks!

btw, been hit by a roman candle... tho it was from long range, they're nothing to be trifled with. :)

friggin redneck 4th of july parties! :)

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

I apologize if this appears to be hijacking this thread but... this thread brought to mind the thought that anything the U.S government produces is free to be used by us taxpayers (who paid for it).

dagunner's picture

When I lived in Pascagoula Mississippi while in the Navy for a dry dock period on the 4th of July a few rednecks livingin the apartments thought it was fun to shootroman candles and bottle rocketsat my wife anI as a way to welcome us to the area. I got sick of it when one hit my grill.I went into the house and got a marine signal flare. Shot it at their building and it exploded in a circle about 30 feet wide.I told themI had more and to fire again if they wanted to. They came over with a case of beer to be friends shortly after that.

Rosemary's picture
Plus Member

What a hoot - the flare response!

No, everything produced by the US government is not free unfortunately.

I was looking into this issue myself, and read on the official website that the FBI logo is licensed and the big companies do this, but the verbage can be used by anyone. So, you can use the words with no problem but not the logo. I put it at the beginning of my DVD which is on meridians, playing for a very brief period of time. I just think it makes it seem like a more official production as I am new to this business.

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

NASA's logos aren't usable without permission but their still images and videos are able to be used with this notice:

nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/reproduction_guidelines.html

I am not a lawyer/clergyman so don't accept this as gospel!