You are here

LAVALIER MICROPHONES

rfleishman's picture
Plus Member

I am beginning my first documentary about the life and times in my old neighborhood, and I would like to interview some of the people that I grew up with.

Of course, I could use the built-in microphone on my camcorder, but I would like to use a lavalier microphone as I believe I would get a better audio result.

However, I know practically nothing about how to use them (even the most basic knowledge of how they work). Is there a resource that I can find out about this, even at the most basic level?

Once I have this information, I would also like to know what kind to get (Price is definitely a factor).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BOB FLEISHMAN

pseudosafari's picture

this forum is a great resource to start with. search past entries on here, too. read and compare catalog descriptions and specs on sites like B&H Video (and even call them, they're pretty good)and then search for reviews on Youtube. that's what i did before buying and i am generally happy with how it worked out.

for lavs, VHF is cheaper than UHF but since it offers fewer channels you sometimes get more interference. i have a vhf set from azden though and it works fine for me. you can usedifferent mics, too, not just a lav (I plug a boom into it sometimes and a regular looking mic for those man on the street interviews and it works just fine). i'm rural, so not much interference. if you're in a city, UHF might be more important.

Rick Crampton's picture

BOB FLEISHMAN sez:

" I am beginning my first documentary about the life and times in my old neighborhood, and I would like to interview some of the people that I grew up with.

Of course, I could use the built-in microphone on my camcorder, but I would like to use a lavalier microphone as I believe I would get a better audio result. "

No doubt you would! Have you paid attention to the miniature lavalier mics worn by all on-camera newsfolk? Really, that's just about all you need to know . . . unless you ARE planning on purchasing a wireless system as Pseudosafari assumes. Hard-wired lavs are, as one might suspect, significantly cheaper than a wireless, and could possibly work out well for you . . . unless you're planning on some medium-distance or full-figureshots while the subject is walking around.

If you are planning on future productions, then you should plan on buying the very best you can afford so that you won't have to upgrade any time soon. A good hard-wired lav can be found for around $ 100; a good wireless system can be found for $ 400 to $ 700.

As a videographer, you'll most likely be looking at new camera gear in the future, and that's where you should spend your money.

Rick Crampton

DNSVideo's picture

A lavaliere Mic system is pricey, two of them very pricey. One way to lessen the cost is by visiting your local Music Store. The folks that sell Drum Kits, Guitars and many other Musical Instruments are audio experts. They can help you and odds on they will have a rental system you could take advantage of. Spending $1400 on 2 wireless sets is big for 3 shooting days, where 25 dollars a day time two setsis about $600. Do it on a weekend, they might charge you only for one day, out Saturday Morning, back Monday Morning. See if they have used equipment for sale, they may surprise you.

roblewis56's picture

You are recording voice, not music, so you don't need the wide frequency response you would need for music. So I suggest a RadioShack Tie-Clip Microphone. Should be about $30. with 4ft cord. You can get a 16ft extension. I use this mic for doing voice over.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I totally agree with Roblewis56, use mine ($34.95) all the time, and I also have the option to use handheld which in your case might not detract from the neighborhood interviews segment of your project. I do have a UHF wireless system by Sony (UWP V6, about $900) built like a tank and very, VERY dependable. But that's not where you have to go for decent narrative audio.

Shaun Laframboise's picture

i'm in the same boat as OP.. I can get a Samson UHF Series 1 and a MR7 for about $100 anyone familiar with these? Are they good? Any other current models that folks suggest for 2 affordable lav-capable mics?

Roblewis56, you're link didn't go through.. at least I didn't see it.

DNSVideo's picture

Let me clarify things here, the stuff I rent from the Local Music shop is Top end wireless Lavaliere sets and some microphones, some wireless, some not. All equipment is rated for voice, not music. You can get good audio capturing equipment at these place for a good price for short or long term rentals. A local Rodeo outfit rents from them, all season long. I also know local halls do also.