You are here

laptop for hd editing with premiere elements

jstraub78's picture

Hi guys. I'd like to buy a laptop to use primarily for hd video editing (1080p AVCHD from my Panasonic HDC-TM90K camcorder). I'd like to use either Adobe Premiere Elements 10 or PowerDirector 10. My hd video editing is for personal/family videos, not professional, but I still want respectable quality.

My question is, what should I primarily focus on when selecting a laptop for running this? From what I've researched, it looks like a fast processor, hard-drive speed, and good video card should be my main concerns.

This is going to replace my aging hp desktop. My price range is around $700-800. I've looked at the spec page on the Adobe and PowerDirector websites. I'm guessing these are minimum requirements though. I don't want something that will just "work", but take forever to render. Final video lengths will typically be from 5 minutes to about 2 hours max.

I'm thinking something like these two...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006550%2050001259%2040000032&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&CompareItemList=32%7C34-230-131%5E34-230-131-TS%2C34-214-486%5E34-214-486-TS

My biggest concerns are: is 6 GB enough RAM and will the Intel Integrated HD Graphics card (on the Toshiba) work as well as the dedicated NVIDIA Geoforce GT-540M card (on the Asus)? The Asus also has a bit less memory and no blu-ray player (not a big deal). I may play some games on it, but the main purpose is for HD video editing, web-browsing, Word programs, etc... Oh and they both have 5400 RPM hard-drives instead of 7200 RPM.

Does anyone else here use a laptop to run Premiere Elements? If so, what kind of system do you have?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Joe

Kenkyusha's picture

Asus laptops get pretty consistently high marks from editors.  With that said, one thing to look for is 1080 screen (for full HD playback at full resolution), something that neither of those choices has.

Also, I/O is important, as you won't want to use the internal drive as your 'scratch' drive whenever possible.  Esata and USB 3.0 (and FW800... ish, but that isn't an option on most laptops anymore) are fast enough to do real-time edits with an external disk/array.

I run Production Premium CS5 (Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, Soundbooth, Illustrator, Flash, etc.) on an i7 laptop with only 4 gigs of RAM (still waiting to upgrade) and it chews-through HD footage of different flavors without issue.

jstraub78's picture

It looks like I missed out on the ASUS deal anyway. I'm not a perfectionist to the point where I need my video to be true 1080 during editing. I can handle working with 720 resolution, as long as the actual screen dimensions (16:9 aspect ratio) are maintained and it exports to 1080.

What's the main reason I wouldn't want to use the internal hd for the editing? I'm guessing probably a lot of defragmentation from rendering/deleting/moving around such heavy files.

What about hard-drive write speed? I'm having a hard time finding a 7200 RPM drive in my price-range.

That makes me feel better that 4 gb of RAM still works well for you. At least that is something you can upgrade. I'm concerned if I choose a laptop with the wrong video card, that I'll be screwed...

Thanks,

Joe