You are here

Laptop for gaming and video editing

christo2410's picture

Is this
laptop good enough for Premiere Pro CS 5.5?

About the
laptop:

INTEL Core i7-2760QM firekjernet prosessor, 2.4GHz,
6MB SmartCache

8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz (2x4GB)

AMD Radeon HD
6990M 2GB GDDR5

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td width="100%">

500GB
SATA 7200RPM

</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td width="100%">

I know that Adobe is workin with nvidia but I don't
have the money for nvidia 580M. So
how is AMD 6990M with Premier pro?

</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

Shawn Lam's picture

The CPU is good but you definitely want a laptop with an NVIDIA video card. The reason is that you can take advantage of GPU acceleration, that improves rendering speed AND render quality!

My blog post explains that part:

Vancouver Video Production Blog: Adobe CS5.5 Max Render Quality and GPU Acceleration.

Now not just any NVIDIA card will automatically unlock the GPU acceleration but if your card is fast enough then it is very easy to unlock this functionality.

There is a link in the comment section of this blog post discussing how to easily unlock the GPU acceleration. BTW, In my laptop I have a 360M card.

Vancouver Videographer - Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 review

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Cristo,

I concur with Shawn's advice. I would not recommend having a laptop for gaming and editing. The requirements for both are different. Used to be gaming GPU's were a great alternative for video editing. Now, Premiere has changed the game and it's all about 'workstation-class' video cards. To take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine, you'll need an NVIDIA workstation rated card which as Shawn mentioned is listed on the Adobe Premiere Pro system requirements page.

Editing requires many more computer resources and requires regular maintenance. You want to keep your maindrive clutter-free as possible to cut down on data log jams when editing. Games take up massive data resources especially if you're an online gamer. Also, gaming will wear your laptop out sooner than will editing. Besides, if something happens to your maindrive because of a gaming malfunction there's the potential of the laptop losing the capacity to edit. That would suck if you had a project in pocket and decided to take a break to play LOTR with your bro's online and some bug gassed your harddrive.

Food for thought.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Shawn Lam's picture

Thanks @composite1. I don't see any problems with using a gaming laptop for editing on Premiere Pro CS5.5, other than the potential to wear-out your laptop quicker and if your operating system drive is cluttered. If you are editing on a laptop with a single hard drive then you will want to be using an external hard drive or RAID solution anyways and you can always just take your external storage solution over to your desktop to complete the project.

Now let's be careful with the term "workstation class video card". Adobe and NVIDIA certified four gaming class desktop graphics cards, in addition to several Quadro cards. Most reviewers only review the Quadro cards and justify that the NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards are often "manufactured" by third parties. I think the term "manufactured" is used loosely too as NVIDIA makes the GPU and the third party assembles but I'm not too concerned about a gaming video card not having the same durability. Gamers push their video cards and systems to the limits for sustained periods of time and as long as you stick with a reputable third-party manufacturer, you should be fine. But if your card does fail, the cost of the original and a replacement will still be less than the cost of buying a Quafro card.

The funny thing about trying to find a "workstation" class laptop with a Quadro card is that it is very difficult. There are very few available off the shelf and if you wanted one you would have to custom order it, wait longer, and pay double or more than you would with a gaming class system.

And then there is the discussion on performance. Adobe and NVIDIA would have you think that Quadro cards outperform GeForce cards, but the opposite is true.

Have a look as the results from the PPBM5 and you will see that of the top 100 systems, only six have Quadro cards and the top performing system with a Quadro card only made it to position #32.

In my Vancouver Video Production Company, I mainly use desktop computers with gaming class graphics cards (from the certified list) for editing but I do run Premiere Pro on a laptop for when I am on the road. As I mentioned previously, it only has an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M card, which is not on the list, but I unlocked it and it improves both quality and render time.

Here are some test results to show how important GPU is for encoding time:
1920x1080 60i AVCHD footage - 32 seconds (no effects)*

Export to 720 30P H.264 1 pass VBR
CPU only with max render quality: 2m47s
CPU only with no max render quality: 1m04s*
GPU with max render quality: 0m43s

*note1: Adding effects would only exaggerate the time gap between GPU and CPU times.
*note2: I don't recommend CPU with no max render quality but provided it for illustration purposes. GPU acceleration automatically enables a higher quality encode and GPU with Max Render Quality ensures that video with effects that are not GPU accelerated still are rendered at Max Render Quality. In this case there is not time difference between the two GPU options as there are no effects.