You are here

JVC GY-HM700/horizontal resolution

makerofvideos's picture

I have checked out the HM700. It felt great in my hands. It has the clearest and sharpest LCD screen I've seen in a camcorder. (I'm not 100 percent certain because I held the camera for only five minutes, but I felt that I was able to focus without the need for a field monitor.) Most important to me is that the camera is HD and shoots native .MOV files on SD cards which makes work flow much easier when you edit with FCP. And, of course, SD cards cost a lot less than P2 and SxS cards.

My one concern is horizontal resolution. I started to notice this feature in cameras after I read the Videomaker review of the Panasonic AG-HPX170. The review said: "The actual horizontal resoution of the HPX170 is a little disappointing, coming in at a mere 650 lines. Other similarly-priced camcorders come in between 800 and 1,000." I think this is important because the quality difference would probably be noticed by anybody watching your production on a 52-inch HDTV, for example.

The problem is that the specs on this camera (and others) don't give you horizontal resolution. How is a consumcer supposed to compare producds if you don't have the numbers?

Has anybody worked with the HM700 and can you please provide your opinion of the camera? Also, please discuss the issue of horizontal resolution.

bosmith.tv's picture

It's a very nice camera, I would say the only thing i don't like about it is the SD viewfinder isn't that great, and that the Fujinon 13x3.5 wideanglelens I want for it is the same price as the camera.

Viewers will not notice the difference if the horizontal resolution is 650, 800, or 2000. What they care about is the quality of the content. The camera has a 720P block and uses pixel shifting to get up to 1080P. The HVX200 had a 540P block and did the same thing to get up to 1080P.

-Shooter/Cutter
http://www.bosmith.tv

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Maker,

To find out in depth details about a particular piece of gear you have to read their 'white papers'. Easiest way is to do an online search, but you can also contact the company and request a copy. If they don't want to give you one you probably don't need to purchase their product anyway. JVC is pretty good about coughing up info so you can go to the JVC Professional site and look there.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

gator274's picture

That cam is used in a lot of run and gun and documentary pieces so I don't think you'll have any problems focusing.

Out of curiosity ...foes the focus assist work with the lcd screen and viewfinder or just the viewfinder?