You are here

Job opportunity for British citizen

Anonymous (not verified)

Hi everyone, new to the forum.

I am currently working in post-production company as an edit assistant in London (England), my long term plan is to move to California (LA to be specific). This is isn't about making it big and being famous its more about actually challenging myself and trying something new and what a better way to do it than in LA the hub of the entertainment industry.

I have done some research regarding visa, but it down on me that the best way to get a working visa would be to actually find a job first (i know easier said than done).

What I am asking is what strategy should I approach this, as I am going there on holiday to visit family in December I really want to come back with some sort of information or just take the opportunity to speak with someone. But not sure how to go about it.

I have list of companies that I was interested in working with, but would post-production companies happy to talk with someone who isn't even in the country?

Just need a general tips, your opinion would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Anonymous (not verified)

It would be very difficult to do this without any connections. Best of luck to you! I hope you succeed.

Rick Crampton's picture

UK88 - You should talk to someone in IATSE Local 700, The Editors Guild, who have jurfisdiction over all the major post houses. They will be able to advise you realistically about your job prospects.

Rick Crampton

Jennifer O'Rourke's picture
Plus Member

Hi, UK88 - I'm pitching in, too, because I've been there, too. Everyone so far is correct - connections are very very important. In real estate sales they have a saying: "Location location location" - location is key. In the movie, TV and entertainment business in L.A. it's "Connections connections connections".

Join the union, like gldnears suggests, and don't expect to get a full-time job, but don't let part-time or short-term gigs deter you. Unlike many other businesses, the entertainment biz rarely hires on full-time, it's almost all contractual, but once you get your foot in the door, and get something working, then other opportunities will roll in.

If you have an ample savings, good, you're going to have to live on next to nothing for 3 to 6 months. Don't take a high-priced apartment, find roommates, and don't spend all your money on 'good times'. One thing you do need, and you'll need it almost right away, is a car. You can't get around L.A. without one, and it needs to be dependable. Stalling on the freeway isn't a good enough excuse when you can't make it to a gig!

I worked in L.A. for 8 years editing everything from local and network news to short assignments at small and medium post houses and boutiques. the work is there, you just need to know how to find the connections. Nearly every gig I got came about due to a connection, not my resume. but make sure you have a good strong resume and video demo reel to offer up, if requested.

There are many job-site listings for people in the entertainment business online, be wary of the scam ones that want to take money but don't offer anything that fits your mold. Be willing to take editors' assistant jobs, while you get to know your way around.

Someone where you work right now might have some connections to L.A. - it's a very connected world, so ask around. Also check with your London-based programs, BBC, London CNN, or post production houses etc., to see if anyone there can connect you.

Good luck to you!

Managing Editor jorourke@videomaker.com VM Customer Support: 1-800-284-3226