You are here

Is there a difference?

ralck's picture

Hello,

SoI wantto buy asecondcamera,and I'm interestedin the Canon ZR800 or ZR900as they offer a microphoneinput (I haven't found other consumer-based cameras that offer this).Idon'thaveaton of money, andthiscamera doesn'tneedto beall thatgoodas my VX2000will be used as my maincamera still.

Itseemstome that the ZR900 issimply the '08 model and onlyreally offersaslightly longerzoom,something that doesn'tmatter all that muchtome. Is the CCD any different? It's still a 1-CCD 1/6" chip, so my guess is it's going to be virtually identical picture quality (assuming the operator knows how to use the camera).

Ithink Iread that the ZR800isabottom-loadingcamera whereasthe 900is top loading?I'venever ownedabottom-loadingcamera; isthisa major problem or hassle?

Therearen'ta tonof greatreviews online aboutthe ZR900which furtherleads meto believe that the twocamerasare identical andI mightas wellsave myself50bucks andgo with the ZR800, but I'm open to have my mind changed. :)

Thanks!

ralck's picture

After doing some research Ithinkthat I would be better suited with a Canon Elura 85 or90.If anyone is selling one of these please PM me with a description of the camera and some pictures of it as well.

ralck's picture

EveniftheGL2 wasin mypricerange,it's notthe kindofcamera I'm lookingfor.I'm looking for a small camcorder that is fairly light, has a mic input, and preferably lens threads also (I feel like a UV filter is a must on all cameras). My plan in my next shoot is to mount the camera on a bicycle, which is one reason I want small/light weight.

I am expanding mysearchto Optura models (especiallythe50,60orXI)as wellas someofthe Panasoniccamswith micinputs.

Thanksforthe offer!

ralck's picture

So everyonepointand laugh at my idiocracy!

Ifound a deal on ebayselling twocamerasin one auction, oneofwhich was a Canon Optura (wow, just whatI was looking forand rightaround my pricerange!).It was a buy-it-nowor best-offer listing,soIsent the guy anoffer thatIthought wasfair.He acceptedit.

Keepin mind thathe listedthecamerasas "100%working" andin "good"and "like-new condition" (the optura wasthe like-new).Hehadgood feedback,basedin theUS,andbothcamerascame with their owncase, battery, and charger.

Nowforthefunpart.Thecamerascametoday.Hedidn't do all thatgoodof a job packingthem (I couldfeelthem moving aboutinthebox),butatleasthezippedthem upintheircases.The JVCpowers up with acondensation error, and the Opturahad atape stuckinsideit (yes, stuckinside-would not eject!).Noneofthis was shownin the picturesor listedin the auction (I went backand checked... sure enoughIsaw again "100% working"and "like-new").

Well,I was able,after aboutan hour and ahalfoffiddlingwiththe Optura with my dadto ejectthetape.Andwitha little morefiddlingIthinkIsomehowfixed thetape decksoitpopsout now (there was alevertopopthetape deckout and swingingit backtopositionseemstohave fixedit (butfor how long?).I'm still working on fixingthe JVC.I've locatedthecondensationsensor, and nowIneedto get some Q-Tips orsomethingto clean itoff and hopethat helps (worstcase,I supposeIcan trya disablingthesensor...I was onlygoingtouseitasa transfer deckto mycomputeranyway).

So everyonepointand laugh at me beingso stupid and trusting ebay (Iknow, Iknow, Igot my vx2000 on ebay, but that guy actually provedhe was a professionalvideographerin the listingandit was his back-upcamhealmostnever used).I guessthe moralofthe storyis be careful on ebay and don't just assumewhentheusersaid "Like-new" and "gentlyused"which clearly was notthecase.Tomorrow I'llsendan emailtothis guytosee what's up.Onething'sfor sure-sincehe clearly listed thecams wronghewon't be getting positive feedback.Negativeor neutral is stillto be decided...

Anywho, justthought I'd share another horror storywith youall.Feel freetocall mean idiotand share your own horror stories. :)