You are here

Is it possible to make a digital file of a DVD

Josh Tiedt's picture

We have a client that is looking to have a DVD we made for them converted into a digital file that their sales people can put on laptops or iPads. Not I'm sure if this is possible to do with a operational menu and all. Never been asked or have executed this before so I need some input as soon as possible.

Any help would be absolutely great. Thank you in advance.

D0n
D0n's picture

assuming you are not talking about a copyrightd disc, it should be as simple as copying the disc to your harddrive saving it as a disc image... there is software such as Roxio http://www.roxio.com that would make this easy.

Josh Tiedt's picture

I should have been more specific so I apologize for my generalization of the problem. It is a project that we created so if there another way to create this without actually creating a DVD that would be a better possibility.

Currently I am trying to use Roxio Toast Titanium but have not yet been able to create a single file that acts like a DVD would with menu and such. It just rips each video file individually. I am working on MacPro if that makes a difference with both Final Cut and Adobe 5 available to me.

Thanks!

darbyohara's picture

bleached_blue wrote:

I should have been more specific so I apologize for my generalization of the problem. It is a project that we created so if there another way to create this without actually creating a DVD that would be a better possibility.

Currently I am trying to use Roxio Toast Titanium but have not yet been able to create a single file that acts like a DVD would with menu and such. It just rips each video file individually. I am working on MacPro if that makes a difference with both Final Cut and Adobe 5 available to me.

Thanks!

I think we all need to be clearer on what you are trying to ask and achieve.  In short, you want to have the ability to present your work to your client as a file, not a DVD, and it should act like a video DVD with menus?  if this is not correct, please clarify what you are asking and trying to accomplish.

If it is what you want, yes it is possible in several ways.  I am windows guy, but Mac should have equivelant options/programs...  but foremost when you create/burn a video DVD from your software (ie. Toast), it is merely creating folders and files on the disc.  The TS_AUDIO is rarily used for video, but your main video and menu files are stored in the TS_VIDEO folder.  Many programs are capable of copying that folder to your hard drive and many DVD viewing programs are capable of opening the files from this folder on your hard drive.  Of course, the size would be the same as the DVD itself.  No matter what you decide, If you find any program to reduce the size, it will reduce the quality of your files.  Is this what you want?

Anonymous (not verified)

Whenever clients request a file of a movie I never go directly from the DVD, since the MPEG-2 video on the DVD is highly compressed, and if you compress it too another file it is just going to look terrible. So, if I don't have the original file still, then I capture the video from the DVD via S-Video to an Analog/Digital converter, and then I can get the best video from the DVD.

Josh Tiedt's picture

This is definitely not the way I would like to approach this problem. What I actually have are 8 different videos on 1 DVD so I do have the ProRes422.mov files for each of the 8 videos. Our client wants a fully functional menu so they can either play all the videos together or each individual clip in a digital file that they can play off of iPads and/or laptops for their sales people. I just don't know how to accomplish that objective.

BruceMol's picture

so something like this? http://bmidd.com/prt/ hover mouse over movie to see the player settings, select the menu button far left bottom to see the menu.

D0n
D0n's picture

using toast... drag your dvd onto the toast window after setting toast to create a DATA disc NOT a dvd disc. then save it as a DISC IMAGE. then go into Finder on the mac and control click your new folder and go to "Get info" lock the file. now for all intents and purposes your copy of the dvd should behave like a dvd.

marcelfilm's picture
Plus Member

Someone correct me if I'm way off here, but I've noticed thadigital all-digital-digital-video-device is actually an App! Perhaps we should all talk to an App developer to really find the solution to this issue!

videoeditoz's picture

This is an issue I have been trying to resolve for some time. I have been trying to find a way to have a computer(or tablet) file that acts like a DVD.

A - so clients get a better HD experience and

B.- so the convenience of menus (DVD-like) can be retained.

Quicktime will retain chapter markers and they are selectable for the bottom right menu bars. But not as stylish as a DVD.

I believe it can only be achieved by an APP. I have asked APP developers if they are interested - so far no success. Does anyone have any ideas?

Bruce McIntosh's picture

I did this for photo collections but I am quite sure that it would work for video files as well.  You could create an html document that contains a set of thumbnails of images from the chapters with chapter names.  Both would be links.  Clicking on the thumbnail or name would open the media player for the video file type in a different tab or window.  This is just an outline but it should be easy for a web designer. 

The user just clicks on the name of the html page and clicks on the images.  Not exactly how a dvd works but quite nice, graphical and functional. 

ddanw500's picture

I use windows try looking at wondershare for mac - I make DVD that have menu selections selected with a remote - surely a ISO file will run in VLC media player with menu selection - there must be a MAC style program - still I’m only a trial & error guy. I can't even get this web site to give me the YOUTUBE hints they promised :) D Macs show icons on the desktop like PCs? If so - put an image of each video in a folder with its own shortcut icon and place the icons on the desktop. In windows, we have Fences that will group desktop shortcuts to gether as a group. Then run from there. Cheers Dan