You are here

Introduction and Issue

Anonymous (not verified)

Hello follow videographers,

My name is Seth. I have been in theater, photography, videography and music all of my life. I am currently honing my skills and starting a business. I have most of my photo side down. I think I have good editing skills but I have just done gaming videos mainly for youtube.

I recently perchased a Sony HVR-V1U, and am currently editing with Sony Vegas Pro 10.

I can edit and render for youtube all day long, no problem, looks great. But I'll need to be able to render my videos for resale. So they look good on any TV or Cable.

Any suggestions on the template set up before dropping in the m2ts file from my cam? Also I need render settings to finish it. I have tried all sorts of settings and combos of settings and I get dang close but still not as good as the original file.

Mainly I can either get the video to look great but it does this FF or "overcrank" thing randomly when playing it back.

Or I can get the FF or "overcrank" to stop but then the video quality is slightly less than the original file and there seems to be some sort of motion blur that is not present on the original file.

I'll be around here often reading up on all the info posted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Seth

rs170a's picture

Do you plan on delivering them on DVD (SD) or Blu-ray (HD) as that makes a difference in what template to use.

Mike

Anonymous (not verified)

Hello Mike,

I plan on delivering them on an external HD or flash drive so they can burn to Blu-Ray them selves if they wish. But so they have the ability to watch it on PC or whatever they plug the external HD or flash drive into.

Thanks for the response.

Anonymous (not verified)

H.264 at or around 20Mbps is a reasonable HD delivery format that is cross-platform compatible.

Charles Schultz's picture

Remember when shooting and if you are not sure of how they will use it, say putting it on a DVD, make sure you shoot in the action safe zone for SD format. That way you will be covered and your clients won't be upset with you.

artsmith's picture

Seth,

I use avc-1 as my format of choice. For Blu-Ray, I will shortly be using the native m2ts, and the 1920 x 1080 format, which has just provided me with the excuse for parting-out on new computer. My work is edited and rendered at 1280 x 720p, using the x264 codec, and 15mB/sec. That is flexible, and if future experience calls for that to be updated, then so be it. Actually, in my case, the problem is not so much ensuring the best performance from my footage and gear, it is getting rid of the last of the artifacts, a hangover from a certain amount of 720 x 576 footage (in 16:9 widescreen), which has been upscaled to 1280 x 720. So, basically, 'AVC-1, via x264' it is, and will continue to be, until I have cause to think otherwise. I might add, that initially the edited footage is destined for showing from one of the hard-drives of our DVD-player, and I have not thought beyond that, for the present. A new computer, paid for just an hour ago, and due to be picked up this afternoon, might make it possible to work in the 1920 x 1080 'native' format, which will save a lot of transcoding and generally unproductive messing around.

Ian Smith

Dunedin, New Zealand.

defapple's picture

Thanks for all of the input. I found a good way to do it in WMV format but am not sure if MAC users will have an issue with it.

Is wmv a good format for all?

Thanks again,

Seth