You are here

In need of some sort of filter for interferance

larkn5's picture

Problem:We are in the process of having 2 cameras(sony hdr-sr1) for a church service.One camera works great,the second has 100 ft of s-cable from it with a in line signal booster at the camera ,we are getting small waves in the monitor from camera 2 ,with the 100 ft of cable.Any suggestions?? It almost looks like interfirance from some kins of close by wires??

CraftersOfLight's picture
Plus Member

Without seeing the video, it sounds like you are getting electrical interference (noise) from something nearby. A few things to look for.

Try swapping cameras, camera 1 is now camera 2 with the cable and see if the follows the camera or stays with the cable.

Can you turn off the amplifier and still get video?If so does the noise go away?

While the camera is running and you have your wavy on the screen, wiggle the cable at both ends, one end at a time. If the waves come and go with the wiggle, there might be a broken shield at that connector. You may want to look into fixing or replacing the cable.

Is the cable running near any electrical device, heater, power supply, projector, monitor, audio amplifier, electrical outlet with something plugged in and running, etc? Try moving the cable away from that device and see if the wave goes away.

Are you close to any overhead fluorescent lights (within a couple feet, ballasts are bad for electrical noise)? Try turning them off.

These are just some of the things that come to mind that could cause this. I am sure others might have more input.

Life is not a guided tour nor a destination. It is a journey. Take the time to enjoy your family, friends and surroundings. Build memories. Share experiences. Travel at sight speed not light speed. (C)

larkn5's picture

Thanks Ill try that .Yes it has all the above for items to be moved.Gives me a good place to start.Thanks

XTR-91's picture

To ensure a virtually noiseless solution, I'd seriously consider using an S-Video to a100 ft. BNC cable that is commonly for Cable TV over long distances.