You are here

Importing HDV into media composer

doublehamm's picture

I am trying to learn MC6 at the moment and have had problems trying to import my footage into a bin. I have AVCHD clips from my NEX5, and HDV clips taken from my Z5U. I was able to get the AVCHD files recognized and imported by going to the AVID site and downloading the AMA AVCHD plugin. However I cannot get it to recognize my HDV files, and I see no plugin o the site that resembles HDV that seems to work. Anyone know how I can get this imported?

(inserting rant here on why an NLE that is 4+ GB in size cannot recognize simple common files, when Sony Vegas is only 200MB, recognizes everything, and has more Color Correction capabilities - but alas I am being forced to have to use MC in the very near future).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Oh my HDV files are off of CF cards recorded by the sony recording unit, and not captures from tape. And no I do not want to use tape for having to capture - it is too time consuming, I can get my 2.5 hours of footage off a card in under 10 minutes.

doublehamm's picture

I use the Sony import utility as well to put them on my hard drive, but MC doesn't seem to want to recognize them. Should be exact same format as you. Did you require a plug-in? My AVCHD files from my NEX5 needed the AVCHD AMA plug-in. Still no luck with the Z5u files.

billmecca's picture

no plug in. I've been using it since the day I got the Z7u....I'm not back in the office until Monday, will take a poke around and see if I find any specific settings... does your project settings match the footage? that was a shot in the dark. Check the Avid community forums, lots of great info there. It's where i go when I have an issue. (like mapping the keyboard because they moved the keyframe shortcut from DVExpress when I upgraded to MC3.5 )

billmecca's picture

no plug in. I've been using it since the day I got the Z7u....I'm not back in the office until Monday, will take a poke around and see if I find any specific settings... does your project settings match the footage? that was a shot in the dark. Check the Avid community forums, lots of great info there. It's where i go when I have an issue. (like mapping the keyboard because they moved the keyframe shortcut from DVExpress when I upgraded to MC3.5 )

doublehamm's picture

Hmmm, I am not able to open the program at the moment, but maybe I am importing wrong? Not sure. I do appreciate your help so far.

billmecca's picture

which program can you not open? I put the CF card in the reader, open the Sony Utility, select all the clips, choose a drive/folder and tell it to import. Then open MC, create a bin, import, choose the drive and select all the clips and let it go.

not sure if that will help you, but it works for me. My daughter will be downloading the trial of MC6 once an external HD gets here, so I will then be able to poke around with it (though she uses a MacBook Pro.) I cannot get IT at work to purchase a Win7 license for my editor (Dell T5400, same Avid certified machine for 3.5 and 6) so not sure when I will be upgrading as I will have to order an complete new system. Maybe later this year if I play my cards right.

doublehamm's picture

That method seems like it may have worked. I was using the method in the training videos straight off the Avid site that showed to choose the "Link to AMA Volume" or "Link to AMA files". I am not sure what the difference is but doing the import method like you stated seems to take a while to load in where as the other method seemed to be instant for the AVCHD. Is this converting files? I hate coming off like I am a clueless idiot, but I am just trying to figure this beast out! Thanks for getting me this far!

billmecca's picture

It's teh only way I've ever done it... not even sure what and AMA volume is...lol it just copies from the card to the drive, then Aiv imports and puts the video in an MXF wrapper, so it uses twice the HD space, but it works for me. ;-)

hope it works for you.

doublehamm's picture

Holy cow... well never mind that last question, I found them. While the mxf files from those recording unit clips may be similar in size, it literally made clips 8x the size of the comparable AVCHD file I imported. One that is 914 MB Originally is now 7.65GB with the 3 files (I assume 2 audio one video).