You are here

im a beginer

kcdiggs's picture

I need some help my Pastor ask me to start video our church services for cable I started with a Panasonic ag-455 now I'm using sony minidv with sony veagus editing I need help do I need to upgrade or will I get better quality using the 455 to the burner or keep using the mini dvd which one gives me better quality now I'm doing all my editing is there a way to edit while shooting.how can I tap into the sound board.will that be better for me?

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

If you want to edit while the camcorder is shooting I recommend using Adobe Visual Communicator. Is easy to use and you can use it to take live footage and edit it the way you want using different effects. It aso have a teleprompter that its really useful. The only thing that you need to check is if you can use your camcorder with the program.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

butterflyguy's picture

If your mini-DV camera has a microphone input, and you're close enough to the sound board, you can probably run a line from the board to the camera. You'll probably need some sort of adapter for the camera.

When your done shooting, just capture to your hard and start editing. There's no realisitic way to edit while filming.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Actually, you CAN shoot and edit, also connect to the sound board for a feed - they do it in live studio productions all the time. You will need an AV mixer/switcher that allows multiple camera feed and audio inputs, monitors and communications for calling the shots, an assistant to help at the controls while you watch the camera angles on the monitors and tell your TD (technical director) what camera shot to go to. You also tell your camera people over your communications system to move in, move out, give more/less head room, lead the shot, focus, etc. and anticipate where you will be going with all this. At the same time you are rolling either tape or DVD recorder, capturing this on-the-fly stuff and essentially wind up with an edited mix at the end of the production.

Graphics, cutaways, titles, etc. are either added on the fly, having been prepared ahead of time, or if you have a really sophisticated system, in progress. And, with the stuff recorded on the fly and resulting (with time and experience) in a fairly decent edited production - you always have the option to do post production cleanup editing to polish it up some, if needed.

Of course, this can prove to be an expensive direction to take but, depending on the budget the first place I'd look would be at the available NewTek, Sony or Panasonic mixer/switcher systems. A LOT of houses of worship are incorporating just this kind of production hardware in their productions.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Having a number of church clients, I know you are looking for the cheapest, simplest way to shoot and edit at the same time. One way to do that is with Adobe On Location (formerly DV Rack.) If you have a PC or a PC partitioned Mac, you can shoot record to tape and record .avi video clips to your laptop or desktop harddrive via a firewire connection from camera to PC. In addition, you can view the video footage on the desktop and connect to an external monitor. Now, you won't be able to 'edit' while shooting, but your clips will be processed quickly (no need to capture footage) and you can do a 'live feed' so to speak. Getting a NewTek or similar device is a much better solution for live feed and switching, but few churches are going to cough up $5k to get said device.

**I just checked on Adobe's website and you can't buy On Location separate from the Production Premium Bundle. However, it finally occured to Adobe to make it cross-platform as of version CS4. If you dig around, you may be able to find a copy of Serious Magic's DV Rack out there (we're holding onto ours with a death-grip!)

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com