You are here

how to render in high quality, but result not 6 GB ?!

kjstudio's picture

Hi !

I have Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0and I made some slideshow (4288x2848 pictures, video from Nikon D90 and music) from my trip to Rome.

The Rome is great and pictures are great. Video from D90 of course not, but together + music+ effects very OK !

I rendered in MPEG-2/DVD NTSC and it was not so good quality (1,2GB).

I rendered in MPEG-2/HDV1080-60i and this is it, great quality! BUT !!! 6,2GB.

I can`t record it on DVD because I have only 4,7GB DVD.

What other option should I use to have the same or similar quality but on 4GB DVD ?

artsmith's picture

I am partway through a project to render 104 Discs of DV-AVI to the AVCformat to create a unified system capable of handling both 'standard' and High Definition footage. I have used an x264 codec of good quality to obtain files which are, on average only ten to fifteen percent of the sizes of the originals. The image size is 1280 x 720, in 'progressive' scan.In your case, some experiment-ation with x264 might yield files smaller thanthose you have obtained to-date. Typically, I was able to reduceclipsof 1280 x 720 down to 7.5mBwith little loss of quality, using double-pass and variable bit-rate. The material was 16:9 widescreen, and I took the precaution of first resizing the 720 x 576 image back up to 1024 x 720, eg the 16:9 aspect-ratio format, as first 'seen' by the camcorder's lens. That plus an ever-so-slight 'sharpen' created clips which were every bit as good as the originals, and in many cases, slightly better. A second 'resize' upped the image size to 1280 x 720, which, of course, is also 16:9A.R. The work was carried out in TMPGEnc's 'Video Mastering Works 5', using prebuilt 'templates' for all repetitive functions and setting the details of the mp4/AVC codec to variable bit-rate and 'double-pass'. That meant that in two stages, the templates could be invoked by a double mouse-click, speeding up work considerably. Maybe a similar procedure could be applied to your problem. 'Double-pass' seems to extend the transcoding time considerably, but results in tiny files of what I consider to be good quality.