You are here

How to get AVCHD Video (.MTS) - into Adobe Premiere

Luke Heights's picture

I use a Cannon FS200

The format shows AVCHD Video (.MTS) - into Adobe Premiere.
This works just fine in Movie Maker, but it will not go into Adobe Premiere.

Can someone explain the best way to get my video into the editing software?

Thanks,

Luke

Charles Schultz's picture

Luke, what version are you using? I know PP4 and up work with it quite well. What I do know of being an issue is that when you unjust your footage to your computer you need to copy the whole AVCHD file from your camera to your computer or it will leave little gaps at about the 24 minute mark.

pseudosafari's picture

i just copy (or cut) the files off the camera card and paste the files to a folder on my hard drive. then i open the folder in windows explorer, and drag them into premiere pro and drop them into the project panel. if they're large, premiere pro might have to think a bit, but normally they're there and ready to use instantly. (this goes for my PP4 and 5.5.)

Woody Sanford's picture
Plus Member

I believe CS3 and below plus Elements lack .MTS support. Luke, If you could give us your version and also your system specs I'm sure someone would have a solution for you. Knowing your system spec's would allow us to know if any of the free transcoding software would work well for you.

Ian Kirkpatrick's picture

Hi Luke

The advice the others have given is correct. Premier Pro CS3 and older will not accept .mts files, CS4 will but only on some computers. CS5 and later work fine but require a 64 bit computer.

I have Windows 7 64 bit with running on an Intel I7 second generation processor with Premier Pro CS5.5 64 bit loaded. I do not have a video card that supports the Mercury engine display, but I can take AVCHD files at 24mb/s and import them into PP an work on them including adding most common transitions, and preview them without the need to render. Only if I get three or more video tracks stacked do I ever bother to render.

I can export to most formats in better than real time. I am sure the step up to a 64 bit processor is the most important factor when working with AVCHD.

Luke Heights's picture

I have CS5, running on Windows 7, 32bit.

I'm planning to buy a new laptop out of necessity.

All the apps I have and use are windows. I suspect they are all 32bit.

When I convert .MTS to another format do I lose lots of quality? That is my only worry.

I'm VERY OPEN to listening, feedback, direction ect... Just please explain your recommendation. I don't want to buy something I will never use...

Thank everyone for helping out, this really is motivating.

Live Happy And Successful,
Luke

MediaFish's picture

When you create your project and have to create the Initial Sequence what are you setting it to? If you are setting the sequence to the wrong type for the content you are trying to use PP will give you a fit (at least in CS4 and up).

Jeff Media Fish Productions

Ian Kirkpatrick's picture

Hi Luke

I took Adobe's word for it and didn't try to run CS5 on a 32 bit platform.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether your existing software will run on Windows 7 64 bit or not. I have an assortment of software, including some older Adobe software, the Windows 2007 Office suite and a cross section of other software of various ages and types. Apart from the pain of having to reinstall them all, (which took the odd phone call to sort out when I had met the maximum number of permitted registrations, or the registration key no longer worked) I have't found any software that I needed to install that would no longer work.

I had to find new drivers for my scanner, laser printer and colour photo printer. Only an old inkjet which I kept mainly for printing onprintableDVDs had to be replaced as it was too old for the manufacturer to bother with a 64 bit driver.

Going to 64 bit with any of the Adobe CS5 software is aquantum leap. And even older software runs better because of the amount of RAM that 64 bit can address.

Trust me. Take the leap! And you won't have to worry about converting .MTS files.

Cheers Ian

pseudosafari's picture

Luke, while we're making recommendations, i recommend a desktop, not a laptop. Unless you need mobility, you can get more power, storage, ability to upgrade, bigger speakers, ability to change screens or have dual monitors (I have one 24 and one 46), all for less money. Yes, you can edit on a laptop, and I've done it many times. Got my start that way. But now I only use the laptop when I need mobility and do all my best work (in a much easier fashion, I must say) on the desktop. Nice thing about Adobe is I can install it on both with one license, so if you have both, so be it. Just my two cents.

blazer003's picture

Yeah, i was under the impression that premiere cs 5 wouldnt even allow you to install on a windows 32 bit machine. Anyway, something that hasnt been really spelled out is that it is best to copy the whole AVCHD folder from your card. For one thing, for me, it makes the "analyze content" option available for the avchd clips, and ive heard that for some others their footage wouldnt import without doing this.

For my panasonic GH2 it's in a folder called PRIVATE/AVCHD/

bsprague's picture

The under $100 Premier Elements 10 on a mid-grade i5 Windows 7 laptop has no issues reading AVCHD files or even 1080p60 files. Either it can't, or I can't find how to, render to 1080p. All the other rendering preset choices I've tried seem to work well.

It might be the low price, the cute consumer packaging or the "instant video" themes aimed at making birthday party movies, but PE10 seems to be overlooked by serious "prosumers". Itcan handle unlimited video and audio tracks,with multiple keyframed effects applied to each clip, as well as Picture-in Pictureandchromakeycapabilities. It also supports many third-party plug-ins. There is a long list of included effects ranging from color correction to image stabilization.

Bruce McIntosh's picture

I use a DSLR and a Canon VIXIA together for my shoots.  When I edit the mts files look poor and the mov viles look good without rendering but the final edited result is great.  I understand that this is just the nature of the very high compression used with the AVCHD container.  I leave my monitor quality at Full and have a supported graphic accellerator card.

aucsky's picture

Using PPR CS6 on 64 BIT Windows 8 with i5 and 8GB RAM

I use Panasonic HC-X900M thats giving me MTS files.

I am able to edit it properly, however it plays with ocaasional lags in preview window.

BUT THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT IT IS TAKING TOO-TOO MUCH TIME FOR EXPORTING ... its said the 24 hours remaining for 90 minutes video.. and its really taking that much time...

Additional Info - When creating new sequence I chose AVCHD 50P and while inserting the video it automaticaly had me change the settings...exporting in H.264 MP4 (Android Phone 1080p 50P ) FORMAT...  I inserted a 2min wmv clip that was exported from picasa.. I only had to render the wmv clip, rest was showing yellow line on it... 

please guide me.. where am I wrong...m newbie  

chris198810's picture

People who are using MTS files with Adobe Premiere Pro(especially CS6, CC7) often have the similar problems Premiere Pro missing audio track for MTS files. 

There are 3 ways that might help you resolve your work- Premiere Pro, MTS files, metadata and no audio:

1. Install an earlier version of premiere pro like 4 - 5 depending what version fits what you do......(DO NOT UPDATE!!!)

2. Import the ENTIRE CARD, very important, all the files from your card to your PC/Mac, the metadata should be located somewhere in a folder within the card, it's not on the .mts file.

3. Convert MTS clips into another format for Adobe Premiere Pro and relink against the transcoded version. It will get the audio back into Premiere. Might be a bit time consuming but it works. And Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac is what we recommend as the best MTS to Premiere Pro Converter.

http://www.brorsoft.com/how-to/fix-adobe-premiere-pro-not-reading-audio-...

Blustina's picture

Acrok MTS to Converter (Windows | Mac) will give you a hand. Just simple clicks, you will get the Adobe Premiere Pro supported editing video files.

You can read this guide: How to convert MTS to Premiere Pro best editing video on Mac and Windows?

http://www.acrok.com/mts-to-premiere-pro/