You are here

how do I record audio with 2 mics and 1 camera?

pluk38's picture

Hello, I am doing corporate interviews for web. Is it possible for the sound from 2 lapel mics be recorded into 1 mic jack/ 1 camera?

would this work? http://www.focalprice.com/CA050B/35_mm_1_Male_to_2_Female_Stereo_Splitter_Cables_Black.html

Thank you very much! any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

pluk38

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

You'd have to do some experimenting to see just how well it works, but I'd say you stand a good chance of using this inexpensive splitter to get the job done. It really depends on the mics and the specific camera and its audio circuits just how well it works for you.

There are also boxes like those made by BeachTek - active and passive - that offer a bit more control over what happens. You might go there and check things out if you don't mind spending quite a few more bucks, comparatively speaking.

ephraimrothschild's picture

you don't actually need to connect them both to your camera. all you need to do is have a clapperboard, which you clap in front of the camera. you then line up the spike of the audio, with the spike of the audio that is from the camera microphone, and the video of the clapperboard clapping. that way you can have microphones that are just connected a standalone recorder and have as many microphones as you want, and it only limits you to post production editing (not by the fact that you are using a single audio jack).

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

While a clapper may be useful, any short, loud noise will work the same way (including a hand clap).

Also, one caveat about using consumer grade audio with consumer grade video - when I first started out, I recorded a friends wedding - For the ceremony I used a personal voice recorder for audio and a consumer mini-dv camera for video and when I tried to sync, the audio was not an exact match for the video, causing me to have to match up audio to video for every 30 seconds or so - a lot of needless, extra editing. If you're filming short sequences with a clapper in front of each this shouldn't be a problem, but if you're filming 30 minutes at a time, it will be.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Another option, which will give you control over the levels of each microphone, is to use a mixer. As EarlC suggests, the BeachTek devices are great but pricey. Radio Shack makes an inexpensive 4 channel mixer that does a pretty fair job for a consumer-level device. Give it a try; just make sure your Radio Shack will let you return it if it doesn't work for you.

Jack

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

If you want to go the mixer route, you don't need to spend a lot of money - Musician's Friend has this mixer, 12 channel with 4 balanced xlr (including phantom power) for $80. I have used this for voiceover work with an inexpensive MXL condenser mic ($70) with good results.

Mixer: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EURORACK-UB1202-Mixer?sku=631236

Mic: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shock-Mount?sku=273156

tunguy's picture

Can you explain to me how you get two feeds into something like the beachtek recording one one soundtrack? Sorry if I sound like a bit of an idiot, but I cannot understand how one can record from two sources(ie a shotgun mic on the cam and a wireless lav on a subject) and this goes onto one recording track on the tape.I mean , won't the sound be all garbled?

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I don't have a BeachTek but when I have used a mixer with two mics I sent one 100% to the left channel and the other 100% to the right channel which sends a sends a stereo signal to the tape. In my NLE I dup the audio track and work with each channel independently. It's really the same as audio mixing for non-video.

Romuald Martin's picture

Tunguy, through a mixer you can send two mic signals to one track. I guess the need for this would bethat your recording device only have one audio channel input. (We are talking monophonic in this case, all audio sources mixed to one channel).

Of course the example you put would be extreme because you are mixing two mics with very different responses and patterns. A better practical exampleis if youhave two guys with lavaliers hooked to a mixer and theoutput goes toone channel of your recording device (Need to set the Panoramiccontrol accordingly), A more complex setup would be to record a meeting with multiple speakers and microphones, but all can be mixedto one channel and no chance to rebalance the mix levels of each mic in post later.

saed's picture

one of the XLR connections on your Ex3 camera doesn't work, but you need to record with two mics. What would you do?

Does your answer apply to this question as well? or you have other suggestions?

Thanks

Rick Crampton's picture

Is it possible for the sound from 2 lapel mics be recorded into 1 mic jack/ 1 camera? "

I guess I don't understand . . . . Are you saying that you want to use a pair of lav's PLUS the on-camera mic??

Rick Crampton

saed's picture

Whatever, only two mics, it could be boom and wireless or in camera mic, boom...etc only two mics but you have one working XLR plugin, does it work to use an audio mixer or splitter?!

Thanks!!!

Rick Crampton's picture

I'm still having trouble understanding your situation. Are you saying that you have ONLY ONE XLR connector on your camcorder? . . .  what the heck camcorder is THIS? . . .  or are you saying that your camcorder has only one XLR connector that is working, implying that the camera has two external mic connectors, but only one works??

Whatever, if you want to use two or more mics into ONE connector, you'll need  MIXER. A splitter would be inadvisable or inoperative.

Rick Crampton

saed's picture

Sorry for the confusion... An EX3 Camera and only one of the two XLR connections works and the other for a certain reaseon is not working, can we connect two mics to this only one XLR Connection, and how?

Thanks

Saed

Rick Crampton's picture

", can we connect two mics to this only one XLR Connection, and how? "

Only thru a mic mixer . . .  and I wouldn't even consider a " passive " ( no power required ) mixer. Only an " active " mixer ( takes some sort of [ battery ? ] power to operate it ) should be considered

Rick Crampton