You are here

How do I import Blu-ray footage to the timeline in Vegas ?

Steve Routhier's picture
Plus Member

Steve Routhier's picture
Plus Member

Hello folks, my name is Steve

A friend of mine has a little business and he asks me to do a trailer.

This company presents movies from travelers in theatres.

He gave me a bunch on blu-ray disc from the movies he had already played in theatres recently.

My questions is: How do I take movies, already encoded in blu-ray files, and put it on a timeline in Vegas pro 10 for further editing. What video processing I need to convert a blu-ray film in a way that I could eventually import all the footage in the timeline ? I need to import 5 or 6 films and take the best shot for producing a "best-of" trailer.

Thank you in advance for the help

Sorry for the english, which is sometimes strangely written

Steve

doublehamm's picture

If it is not a copyrighted disc, then open the BDMV folder then the STREAM folder and you should be able to see all the AVCHD files that you could copy to your hard drive then load into Vegas from there.

Steve Routhier's picture
Plus Member

Hello doublehamm,

There is no question of copyrigthed material,since he is the distributor and producer of the films. When somebody submit a film to him, he will ask to sign an agreement for distribution and other legal issues.

I'm just suspicious about the method that you suggest, for me it's sound like to simple ! Since a blu-ray has sometimes menu, sub-menu, they could be encoded in MPEG2 or AVCHD...I don't think by just opening the STREAM folder in vegas, you will have access to the main video and be able to put it down in the timeline without difficulties.

Do you think I could use a third party software to transcode the STREAM folder to a generic file. ?( High quality AVI or MOV)

Any kind of suggestion could help.

Thank you

Steve

doublehamm's picture

Well I do it all the time with my old discs when I need to dig out footage. Everything is in there as a .m2ts file and when I copy it to my hard drive it still opens and plays perfectly and original quality. It is not like a DVD where everything is turned into .vob etc. The Blu-Ray structure is handled differently.

Steve Routhier's picture
Plus Member

Steve Routhier's picture
Plus Member

Well, I'm gonna try this approach and I will keep you informed about the job as soon as possible.

Thank you

Steve