You are here

Home Videos are getting so much better....

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Normally I post stuff shot by professional shooters. Every now and then an ammy or intermediate gets my attention and I think their work is definitely worth a look. "Keira in the Park" is typical of what the average VM hobbyist is trying to shoot, home movies of the kids. Using a Nikon D90 filmmaker and Keira's father Trin has made quite the cute little film with the help of some advanced techniques using both steadycam and dolly rigs. Let me know what you think.

Keira In The Park from Trin on Vimeo.

anindya49's picture

Looks great! In some shots a bit of exposure shift and wobble is visible, but that's just the camera I guess.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

"In some shots a bit of exposure shift and wobble is visible, but that's just the camera I guess."

Anindya,

From what I read, the wobble was a camera issue and yeah a wee bit of color correction would have done wonders for this. But for just taking a camera out and getting shots of the kid and playing around with some support gear options, it's pretty good.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

cooperspick's picture

The wobble has always been a serious issue if you use a standard tripod and do panoramic shots you can avoid that issue and still make a solid video. When i do sports pick events that works best because it is nearly impossible to track some of the actions clip for clip due to the velocity of the ball movement.

grinner's picture

Look at the technology advances since we were making home movies. I was shooting with a quazar VHS camera in 1984 and to edit, I shot the television with quued up raw footage. lol Today folks can shoot on HD and edit with a fine NLE for far less money than what was spent 25 years ago.

This is also why we've seen a change in bidding/pricing. While it was no problem to have folks standing in line to pay $450 an hour in a limited linear suite 15 years ago, it's often a challenge to get more than $175 an hour today for anything they want. This aint all bad. It's not as if we have to spend the millions on an edit suite we had to 15 years ago. I have less than $70k in mine with decks, sync and everything. When I replace it, I'll pay a quarter of that with more capabilities. The fella who made this fine video most likly spent less than 5 figures for everything he's got, including the camera. Our profit margines havn't changed. Our technology/overhead has.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Those who take the time to learn and practice the essentials, put forth the effort and take the time and opportunity to improve their skills in shooting AND editing always produce better videos. It's the skill, experience and talent, solid application of acquisition and editing techniques THEN the technology that makes for good productions, not higher quality, more affordable and easier to learn tools of the trade.

I'd LOVE to have some kind of Super Wheels to tool around in, but I can get to and return from the job with my humble PT Cruiser - 80,000 miles and counting. Likewise, as I've noted before, you can build a house with a hammer and handsaw. Who would want to, right? The point is the tools are essential, but knowledge and application of technique and creative abilities is paramount.

Really enjoyed viewing the video, by the way. Lot of effort went into its making.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Wow, after this post didn't get much of a response I'd forgotten it. Glad you guys 'dug' it out and took a look at it.

Yup, the tools are getting better and in most instances cheaper. One thing is for sure, the 'process' of doing this work is ridiculously cheap now compared to the cost of what you needed not too long ago. But again as it has been mentioned, it all boils down to how much creative effort you put into the work will decide its 'quality'. Keira's father obviously had great material to work with (i.e. adorable kid) but took some extra steps to help make the video that much more 'watchable'.

The pro's on the forums have said it many times that 'you can do good work even with low-end tools'. The 7D is a mighty fine tool and despite its quality image, could have easily 'sucked on ice' if Trin hadn't taken the time to 'craft' his film during the filming and editing process. As an amateur or intermediate shooter the faster you figure out that the crafting of your work is where all the time, effort and money goes into making watchable videos the better. That's why a pro with a dinky 'point and shoot' rig will smoke an amateur with a high-priced one every time. If the pro has access to the more costly rig, fugeddaboutit!

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com