You are here

Help with video quality!!!!!

Dane's picture

I have just upgraded my pc to a Intel dual core with 2GB ram. But I still seem to get poor quality. I am using Magix Movie Edit Pro 12. What pc specs do I need for good quality production? I am talking about clear picture? Help!!!

grinner's picture

or by how fast your PC is. RAM has nothing to do with image quality.

Ensure you are capturing at full rez (720 X 480 if capturing standard Def DV) and check your cmpression settings to make sure you are not compressing it more than it already is (assuing you shot DV) You can bring it in as a clone (DV25) and not lose any quality at all.

XTR-91's picture

The performance of your computer may hinder the quality of preview, but should not affect the resulting quality after the rendering process. Have you converted anything before editing?

As some people don't realize, converting MPEG-2 to MPEG-1 decreases file size and compatibility, butwill compromise quality. I'd even have to complement web formats such as WMVand H.264 as looking better MPEG-1.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Dane,

The 'quality' of your exported video depends on the capacity of the software you're using and the capabilities of the computer you use to encode the video output (i.e. consumer level software will not have the same capacity as pro and a computer not spec'd for HD won't be able to work in that format.) As the others have mentioned factors that contribute to video quality are; video format and video compression settings. Another important factor is how you're outputting the finished video. If you're going to tape are you doing it through firewire or a dedicated video card? Also, the quality of video is directly affected by how it was shot. If it wasn't shot well there's not much you can do with it in post.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

XTR-91's picture

"The 'quality' of your exported video depends on the capacity of the software you're using and the capabilities of the computer you use to encode the video output"

For the most part, I agree with you on the factors that affect the resulting quality. I'd also have to go against part of what you said on the 'capabilities of the computer'. Let's say we're importing (copying) the same video from the same camcorder, and using the same conversion software (i.e. AVS Video Converter) - and just to add, the same format with the same video settings. If identical conversions were madeon an Intel CeleronPC(1.33 GHz) and a Dual Core (4.2 GHz), there should be no resulting difference in quality.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

"I'd also have to go against part of what you said on the 'capabilities of the computer'."

XTR,

I thought the 'computer not spec'd out for HD' line clarified that. Pardon me for not making my line of thought clearer.

If you are working strictly in SD DV then the scenario you mentioned would apply. Trying to use the same systems to work with HD will result in the celeron maybe capturing one or two short clips before it crashes the system and being unable to edit the footage after a reboot. The dual-core would have no problem working with HD. Having a system crash in the middle of capture and being incapable of working with any surviving footage would constitute a serious 'quality issue' in my book.

Also, the better your computer's capabilities the better it will be able to handle footage during capture, editing and export. A system that bogs down during those processes can introduce errors into the footage and force you to use lower compression rates than you'd want to use just to get out product. If your system can't handle working with uncompressed video in DV (fugeddabout HD), you're going to have 'quality issues'.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Jaimie's picture

Dane,

All of the suggestions so far are good, but you would gain more information by describing in what way your video quality is "poor". Are the pictures blurry or is the color unsaturated? Do the images jump or freeze? does it lose lip sync?

Is everything bad all the time or do you sometimes get good quality?

A little more detail will get you a better answer.

Regards,

Jaimie Charlton

Images and Motion