You are here

Help with the meaning of lyrics?

Jess94's picture

I was thinking of possibly using this song for my music video, but i am finding it hard to understand what this song is actually about. It is called Jumping into Rivers by Diana Vickers. If you have any ideas of what this about then please let me know :) here are the lyrics...

ho oh oh oh oh oh oh x4

back of the scooter
i cut your waist
we rode away into the night
were reality breaks

i look at you
and take a picture with my hands
not much to do oh oh oh
sit and laugh a weird place

chorus

we're on the run
we're still jumping in and
we're on the run
we're still jumping into rivers
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh

there's no fight,
and there's no challenges with you.
just a night,
the gray cent sunshine right on que

down inside,
though we don't need anything, or need anyone or any place
just the sun
just the sun

chorus

we're on the run
we're on the run
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh

everything's changing colour
so everything seems so perfect
we wont know eachother tomorrow
then every day's been worth that.. oh oh oh

chorus

we're on the run
we're on the run
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh

ho oh oh oh oh oh oh
ooh ooh ooh ooh

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I think a lot is open to interpretation - I personally don't have a clue as to it's meanings.

Now off topic - the top five lines in Rock & Roll:

Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible - "She's so fine, there's no telling where the money went"

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - "Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage"

Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love - "Shake for me girl, I wanna be your back door man"

Pretenders - I'll Stand By You - "Nothing you confess could make me love you less"

And #5 keeps on changing

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

If I knew the song, Jess, I'd pitch in with some REAL and SERIOUS help. The lyrics are curious, I have to say, and I for one can see your desire to know what the real message might be.

Sounds sort of like some esoteric reference to "going with the flow" and still doing something unique and special.

Jess94's picture

I need to know as i am making a music video for it, but to be able to create the video I need to understand the main way that people will interpret this song. Thankyou for all of you who have given me HELPFUL comments, and that link wasvery useful, thanks :)

shaynewillis's picture

This was Charlotte Louise Sloman's analysis of the song.

ho oh oh oh oh oh oh  x4
back of the scooter
i cut your waist
we rode away into the night
were reality breaks
From this paragraph I get the idea that Dianna is on the back of a motorbike, holding onto a males waist. I get the idea that it is in the late evening. When the last line says ‘were reality breaks’ it gives the sense that they are riding away from reality into maybe a sunset or somewhere special.

i look at you
and take a picture with my hands
not much to do oh oh oh
sit and laugh away at thingsThis verse gives the impression she is able to have fun and mess around with the person she is with. It seems as if she is happy with him whatever they are doing and laughing and joking. This shows a good relationship and connection between the two people.
chorus

we're on the run
we're on the run
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh ohThe chorus gives the idea that the song is set in the summer, were they are messing around in the rivers and streams.there's no fight,
and there's no challenges with you.
just a night,
the gray cent sunshine right on queueThis verse suggest that she has no troubles with the boy, its very easy going. The last line ‘the gray cent sunshine right on queue’ gives the impression that everything is perfect, like a fairytale romance.

down inside,
though we don't need anything, or need anyone or any place
just the sun 
just the sunOnce again this suggest that it is in the summer time and all she needs is her summer romance.
chorus

we're on the run
we're on the run
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh
everything's changing colour
so everything seems so perfect
we wont know eachother tomorrow
then every day's been worth it.. oh oh ohI think this verse implies that the romance she had was a summer fling, she states ‘we wont know each other tomorrow’ this makes me think that she is going back home  to her hometown and therefore will not see the boy again.
chorus

we're on the run
we're on the run
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh
into rivers oh oh oh
ho oh oh oh oh oh oh

ho oh oh oh oh oh oh 
ooh ooh ooh ooh Overall I think the meaning of this song is that Dianna has a summer fling with a boy she meets somewhere in a beautiful countryside or seaside town. She remembers the good times she had with him, she will not see him again but every day she had with him was worth it.

For Lighting rental Los Angeles, Visit Here.