You are here

help with keyboard shortcuts

danczer's picture

I bought Avid about 2 months ago and im finding it really hard to remember any of the keyboard shortcuts! Its really slowing down my editing speed and it looks a bit unprofessional wen i take ages to either click through the process or when i mess up the keyboard shortcuts. Does anyone know any tips or tricks on how to remember the shortcuts easier/quicker?

Rob Grauert's picture

write them down on a piece of paper and keep it next to you until you don't need it anymore. The more you edit, the faster you will learn them.

Some might suggest to buy an Avid keyboard, which has the shortcuts printed on the keys. Waste of money IMO. What the difference between that and writing them down? Might look fancier I guess...

Tim Ramsay's picture

I have the same problem and to add to the problem, I am still organizing the keyboard. This is my solution. Open the keyboard control panel and once you have the keyboard organized, the way you want it, hit the print-screen key on your (physical) keyboard. Then open a photo editor, like MS Paint or Paint Shop and then paste. Crop out the part that you want to use and then past it again. With MS Paint, the picture size (attributes) will increase automatically to allow for the image you want to paste in so start with a small picture size.

Then save that picture and then import it or just paste it in to MS Word or some other word processing program. Here you can resize the picture and orient the page. You can even arrange multiple pictures on a single page; one of your source viewer one for your timeline/master view, your clip viewer, Time warp editor and so on.

I like showing each keyboard that I use:

Open Avid > edit > control panel > keyboard properties > print screen > MS Paint > Cntr+V (paste) > crop > Cntr+A (select all) > Cntr+C (copy) > Word > Cntr+V (paste) > resize (for each keyboard arrangement) > then print.

JMM
JMM's picture

I order some sticky icons that you put on you keyboard, 8$ its all nice whit all the shortcut whit nice colors

You can look on avid website and order it i think, or on ebay

I also recomend you to configure you F1,F2,F3

Television Technician
www.vimeo.com/julienmarion
Sorry for my english im french