You are here

HELP Transfer DV to Computer

ftaber's picture

Big question (and I hope the answer isn't what I think it is):

When using a DV tape to record and transfering from the camcorder to the computer via firewire, must one do so in real-time?

Is there any work arounds to this incredibly inconvient process?

Thanks all,

Forest Taber

-Older Panasonic Consumer Camcorder, DV Tape, Mac OS Latest, 4gig Ram, 160g 5,400 rpm HDD internal (100g free), 1TB Ext Hdd 7,200 Rpm, Adobe Premiere cs4 & Apples Video editing suite

Rob Grauert's picture

No. Tape captures in real time. If you shot an hour of video, it will take an hour to capture. More like 2 hours: 1 hour to log the tape, 1 hour to capture.

If you think that'sinconvenient, go use a tape-to-tape editing machine for a while. Then you'll be psyched when you go back to DV tape.

jimcvideo's picture

Yep, it's all realtime, and like Robert said, there are definitely fates worse than DV transfer.

If you want faster transfer, you can either buy a firestore drive, or you could record directly onto your computer.

Omtech's picture

Friend, what Robert and Jimc adviced you,and that is all you have to do. Capturing equals recording time.

God bless you

Please let help each other for the love of Video Editing. This Video maker forum is more than University to me. may God bless the Initiator, Moderators and all members for always willing to help.