You are here

HELP - Lighting a subject + green screen

Sylas's picture

Hi all

I'm using a green screen setup with twofluorescent(5.5K) soft-boxes lighting a human subject and another two lighting the screen. I'm using a Sony C150X Handycam on a tripod with daylight white balance settings.

The screen is working pretty well but I'm having trouble achieving the desired effect with the subject. When I zoom in close to the subject's face, he looks very natural, however when zoomed out further, he looks washed out and too bright.

Here is a picture demonstrating the different the different effects at different zoom levels: http://i.imgur.com/3WQeM.png

Why does this happen and how can I make the subject look like he does on the left while getting more of his body in the shot.

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Way too much light on the subject. Much of the detail is blowing out and you're clipping on his face, especially on our right. Try using different light sources on the talent.

We often use a 100watt NRG on camera light with diffusion, mounted on a light stand and placed very close to the talent, for a key and a 200 or 400watt photo flood soft box made out of foam core with a diffuser medium on the front for fill and hair.

Pull out as wide as you intend shooting, then look through your viewfinder or at a good monitor while an assistant moves the lights around to see how best to cool things down. What you see with your eye is quite different than what the camera sees.

If you balance the lighting for the long shot the CU should work o.k. If it doesn't, re-light for the CUs.

Good luck,

Jack

D0n
D0n's picture

the reason it looks good zoomed in is because your lens is a variable aperture zoom meaning it lets in less light as you zoom to the telephoto end..

also your exposure meter can be fooled by how much (backlit in this case) background is in the frame..

solution.. set your exposure manually, once; and don't use the zoom, move the camera...

Sylas's picture

Thanks for the helpful responses! I really appreciate them. So I took both your suggestions into consideration and played around with the lights as well as the exposure. I think it's quite an improvement. This is post green screen editing in AE: http://imgur.com/kiZOk

Thoughts?

Kenkyusha's picture

First off- that's way better than the first example.

For the next round of improvements, you are currently getting some green spill.  If you have the option of moving the subject further from the screen, that will help.  Also CTM (magenta gels) will help moderate your lighting color to cut down on bounce.  Finally, you may want to tweak the choke/feather settings of your software.

Sylas's picture

Thanks for the advice Ken!

After moving the subject a bit further away, endlessly tweaking the lights and camcorder settings again, this is the result: http://imgur.com/1vvFr

Can't believe this is the same camera.

Kenkyusha's picture

Again, way better- if you continue to improve at this rate, you'll be pulling keys that are indistinguishable from reality in no time!