You are here

Help decide: Pro used XH-A1 v. XA-10/Vixia HF-G10

Pablo's picture

Hi. I am having a hard time deciding!

I do live event recording and industrial video, and I am on a limited budget (max $2,000). Now I have a Sony HVR-A1 (the little "pro" HDV camera from SONY) which does a nice job for my purposes.

I want to upgrade and don't know if better to buy a used XH-A1 (HDV, of course) or a new XA-10/Vixia HF-G10.

The XA-10/Vixia HF-G10 clearly is the future, problably is a much better long term investment, but for pro work I find it quite small (event smaller than my current HVR-A1). For personal use seems great but from the customer point of view they lack that "oh what a camera" selling factor.

The XH-A1 is great in handling, manual controls, etc. but HDV is clearly fading away. I don't know if the better lens (and probably electonics) of the A1 compesate the full HD quality of the XA-10/HF-G10.

To make things more difficult, the price of the HF-G10 is very competitive v. the XA-10, almost $500 less in Amazon. Really don't know if it worth the handle/XLRs. For that money I can get a Roland/Tascam audio recorder, that has much more recording quality and versality.

Please help me!

dellwovideo's picture

Picking a camera is never easy. Everyone has their own special needs and considerations, and everyone has their own opinions.

So... this is just my opinion, for better or worse.

First, the manual controls on the XH-A1 are nice and you may find the menu controls on the other two cameras frustrating at times.

However, if a client is demanding the highest resolution possible, HDV isn't going to cut it.

On a similar note, the lack of audio input on the HF-G10 could be a frustration - especially in the edit. True - external audio recorders can get great audio, but for event and industrial purposes I suspect the audio on the XA-10 will be sufficient.

Personally, the XA-10 is at the top of my list for my next camera.

But that's just my opinion. :-)

mrkinyo7's picture

I know that my post may be late but based on your budget, and what you are shooting, I'd say it's between the XHA1s and the XA-10. The HF-G10 is totally out of the equation. This doesn't mean that it's a bad camera. In fact it's an awesome camera but, for what you get with the XA-10, it doesn't make sense to pass on all of the upgrades. If you're close up, the XHA1s can't even compare to the quality that you'll get from either the HF-G10 or the XA-10. I would imagine that you'll find this to be the same when further back despite the larger sensor in the XHA1s. It's old technology. I have one and I love it but, I can't discard the superiority of the HF-G10 and the XA-10. If you're just starting out and want a more professional looking set up, go with the XHA1s and you should be able to get a manfrotto tripod with a fluid head, a mic and well you'll have to pass on the lights for now. If you're in the recording industry as statedm you can't go wrong with either of the two that I suggested. If you can get both, I might actually consider it as an option. It's just tough to pass on all of the manual features on the XHA1s. If shot properly, you'll get some really good footage.

Chuck's picture

Another consideration - XA10 is limited to a 24Mbps maximum bitrate and 4:2:0 color sampling instead of the 50Mbps and 4:2:2 sampling... I believe the XH-A1 has the 4:2:2 color sampling.