You are here

HDV Recording & Capturing from JVC GYHD200U

videoguy34's picture

I am using a GYHD200U, shooting HDV-HD60p and DV60i depending on the shoot. The HDV footage is recording with an extra 12 frames of "Video Only" at the end of each recording stop! During playback and capture, this results in a sort of 'dropout' between clips in the final product. Is there any setting in the camera that would prevent this or is it normal during HDV recording. The DV footage appears to be fine. As long as I am on the topic, I am editing with FCE 4.0.1 and using trial and error to determine which codec to use in the capture process. The AIC 720 30p seems to be the most effective, is there a better one? This HD / HDV stuff is a bit overwhelming, anyone suggest a site to put it in black and white!!

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Man that's weird.

Question: are you capturing footage to tape or a external harddrive? If it's to a harddrive, part of your problem may lie in your recording settings. If you are recording to tape you may need to update the firmware on your camera. Can't help you with potential FCE issues (that would mean I would have to touch a mac... ewww. Just kidding.) We use premiere and vegas to edit our HD footage and haven't run into this issue. However, we use a BR-HD50 deck to capture from tape and not the camera. Recently we updated the firmware on the deck and it cleared up some glitches both software were having in communicating with the deck. Check on JVC's pro video portion of the site to find the firmware updates for the 200U(B) and check if the problem you are having is a common issue. If not, contact them directly. It may turn out to be something you have to send the rig back for. Good luck.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

videoguy34's picture

Thanks for the advice. The footage was captured to tape. I'm waiting on a callback from JVC to discuss it with them. In the meantime I'll check on the firmware update. If its anything worth relaying, I'll post it!

Man that's weird. Question: are you capturing footage to tape or a external harddrive? If it's to a harddrive, part of your problem may lie in your recording settings. If you are recording to tape you may need to update the firmware on your camera. Can't help you with potential FCE issues (that would mean I would have to touch a mac... ewww. Just kidding.) We use premiere and vegas to edit our HD footage and haven't run into this issue. However, we use a BR-HD50 deck to capture from tape and not the camera. Recently we updated the firmware on the deck and it cleared up some glitches both software were having in communicating with the deck. Check on JVC's pro video portion of the site to find the firmware updates for the 200U(B) and check if the problem you are having is a common issue. If not, contact them directly. It may turn out to be something you have to send the rig back for. Good luck.