You are here

HDR AX2000 or XF100?

AndrewWilliam's picture

I am having a hard time deciding what to do. I am looking at Sony's HDR-AX2000
and Canon's XF100. The XF100 is yet to be released, but has anyone here used the
HDR-AX2000? I have an old HDR-FX1, but looking to upgrade and get out of using
mini DVs. Should I wait for the Canon or should I spring for the Sony right now?
Any input on either of these cameras is welcome. :)

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

I too am considering the Sony HDR-AX2000 although not right away. I found an extensivehands on review of this cam at

filmmakeriq.com/2010/04/sony-hdr-ax2000-an-iq-exclusive-review/

I hope this helps. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some other info or advice.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

I have the Sony AX2000 I honestly is a top of the line camcorder. The picture quality is great, excellent in low light and gives you the complete liberty in manual controls. I purchase mine from BHphotovideo and it included a video light (which by the way is a must have) and NP-F970 battery that last around 10 to 14 hours (another must have). That BHphotovideo kit is a excellent offer for the price and I'm extremely happy with it. You can see one of the footage I took under very low light at my website (be sure to see it in 1080p). This camcorder only has one problem which is it can only record around 12 minutes, after that time the file is split in two files and some video and audio frames are lost in that process (around 6 frames). This can be fixed by using the included Sony Picture Content Manager.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

AndrewWilliam's picture

Ikes! I didnt know that about the camera. (The 12 minute record thing). That could be a deal breaker. Is there any way around that? I cant be recording something and lose frames, even if it is just 6. Imagine that coming at a time where its an important part of video. Like at a wedding and the simple "I do." I cant have an "I do" become an "I oo" Theres no way to get around this that you know of?

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

No, is does not delete 6 frame forever when recording. The thing is that this camera records in AVCHD with file extension MTS. When editing you can access the MTS files individually from the SDHC card and import them directly to your editing application. Lets say you recorded a 24 minute video, then you will have two separated MTS files of around 12 minutes each and if you import it as individual video files directly and join them together in your editing application then you will see the lost audio and video frames. This only happen if you import the MTS files directly to your editing application, if you have footage longer than 12 minutes you will need to convert your MTS footage to another format using Sony Picture Content Manager which is included with the camera. This program joins together the separated MTS files and add the missing audio and video frames. The AX2000 does record the missing footage, but on another folder with another extension name, and the only way that I know to join the footage is using the Sony Picture Content Manager. If you are a Mac user (like me) you will need to get a Windows computer because the Sony program does not work in Mac (I'm using an old desktop Windows computer I had at home). I have look around for a program for Mac just for this, but haven't found anything. The only downside of using the program is waiting for the video to encode, but what can I say, that the video editor life.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

By the way, I contact Sony support regarding not having a Mac program to join the video files and this is what they respond.

------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry that the Camcorder splits the files, when it records for more
than 12 minutes. Please note that if the movie file exceeds 2 GB during
recording, the Camcorder divides the file, and creates a new file
automatically. There is no software from Sony to merge these videos into a single file.

We would recommend you check with your favorite retailer, specialty
magazines, or search the Internet for available options that may be
available from third-party manufacturers to address your request.

NOTE: Sony does not make any warranty or representation
with respect to the performance, suitability or compatibility
of any products manufactured by third parties.

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team

--------------------------------------------------

-

AndrewWilliam's picture

Seems kind of bad. I mean, paying that much for a camera and having to deal with that just seems dumb. Why would Sony do that to what seems like an otherwise great camera? I too use all macs. I do have a copy of windows that I can use in bootcamp, but doing that just seems like an extra unnecessary task. My guess would be that it divides the file because it would be formatted in FAT32 file system. If that is indeed the case, why would Sony make the dumb choice to format the memory cards in FAT32? Seems... stupid. :( I really like everything else about the camera though.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

You are right, the card are formatted in FAT32. That's the only thing I don't like about this camcorder, but I don't usually record longer than 12 minutes so it does not affect me that much. Maybe this camcorder big brother, the Sony HXR NX5U, could record continuously if you buy the HXR-FMU128 Flash Memory Unit. I had read that the NX5U is better than the AX2000, but to me I'm fully satisfied with the AX2000 top quality.

-

AndrewWilliam's picture

Hmm, didnt think of that. An HD unit attached may just be a fix. Not sure how to go about finding out though. Maybe I will have to call sony. What contact did you use to contact them?

AndrewWilliam's picture

just checked BH for the other camera and its flash unit. Here it is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=672424&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews

That too is FAT32. Why?!?! Im so confused. Im not electronic engineer, and even I know thats not the file system to use for video. I just dont get it. :(

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

I really do not know if the NX5U has the same issues. Since it can use SDHC cards I believe it could limit the recording to 2 GB per clip. But if you use the flash unit maybe that won't happen. You should contact Sony at this email <span class="gI"><span class="go">support@info.sel.sony.com or visit their support website at </span></span>http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-accessories.pl?

-

AndrewWilliam's picture

Thanks, I just emailed them. I also did make a decision and went for theHXR-NX5U and ordered it from BH. I did not get the flash unit though just yet. That may be a future purchase.

XTR-91's picture

Mine can only do21 min., equivalent to 3.99GB.

Anything that's not Microsoft isn't NTFS. Mac won't recognize it unless you install the compatibility pack.

AndrewWilliam's picture

What will Mac not recognize? The flash memory unit? From what others said online, you have to take it off the camera and plug it directly into the computer. From what I understand, it works fine in that case.

As for Mac and file systems, I have used both, Fat32 and NTFS drives. They both work just fine.

Charles Schultz's picture

Found a solution to the 12 minute problem; you need to copy the whole AVCHD to your hard drive. If you are using Premiere Pro to edit it will bring it in as one clip.

AndrewWilliam's picture

Premier doesnt have an issue with it. Its final cut that it will loose a few frames where the clips split. You need to join the files before importing into final cut.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

rmartin8, to copy the whole AVCHD file insert the SDHC card > Click "PRIVATE" > Click "AVCHD" > Copy the folder called "BDMV" into your current project folder. Then import the clips from the folder "STREAM" to your editing software and the clips should join (at least in Premiere). If for example you have a 15 min video in 0001 and 0002 you will only drag into your NLE timeline 0001 (it will automatically join with 0002).

-

videoeditoz's picture

Final Cut X will import the AX 2000 files, and stitch them together - in fact from every AVCHD camera I have tried.

Use the "import from camera" command in FCP X or Log and Transfer in Final Cut 7/Studio 3.

It is true that if you transcode the MTS files prior to import into Final Cut X (or Final Cut 7/Studio 3) the files are restricted to the 2Gb limited and and 6 frames are in doubt.