You are here

HDD vs. DV: Is Quality Compromised?

HighKalibur's picture

<span style="font-size: 7.5pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;">Hi, I know little about the technical aspects of cameras. I plan on spending a nice chunk of savings on a one- or three-chip video camera. I love the convenience of direct-to-hard drive storage. However, I have never been able to get a definite answer as to whether or not I am losingpicture quality by not recording it to a DV Tape. Is this the case?<o:p></o:p></span>

<span style="font-size: 7.5pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;">What is the difference in quality when recording on a HDD or DV tape? Is there one? <o:p></o:p></span>

<span style="font-size: 7.5pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;">Also, as far as filmmaking goes, can anyone suggest a great starter camera (until now I have used camcorders) for an independent filmmaker that producesgood picture without unnecessary luxury accessories. In other words Im looking for a great deal camera. <o:p></o:p></span>

Rob Grauert's picture

"I plan on spending a nice chunk of savings on a one- or three-chip video camera."

Don't waste your money on a one-chip camera. Buy a three-chip camera.

To answer your question, the image quality of your video IS NOT determined by what you are recording to. If you are recording video as the DV codec to a HDD camcorder, the image quality will be the same as recording to miniDV. There should not be a difference in image quality between HHD and tape when they are both recording the same video codec.

As for suggesting a camera...what is your budget? Simply saying you don't want "unnecessary luxuries" and that you want a "deal" is meaningless because everyone has their own opinion on what is an unnecessary luxury and a deal. So, what's your budget. Even better, visit www.bhphotovideo.com and search for cameras you may be interested in and come back with specific questions rather than the most broad question anyone interested in video could ask.

Eventvideoguy's picture

<span style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px;">"If you are recording video as the DV codec to a HDD camcorder, the image quality will be the same as recording to miniDV. There should not be a difference in image quality between HHD and tape when they are both recording the same video codec."</span>

<span style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px;">I don't think I have ever seen a HDD camcorder that recorded to any codec other than MPEG. It would be nice if they were available with other codecs though. With these 60/80/120 GB HDD camcorders they have out now, there is plenty of space to record for quality DV instead of this MPEG crap.</span>

<span style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px;">The problem with MPEG is that it is difficult to edit and you loose stuff while you do.</span>