You are here

hdc-tm700 artifacts?

XTR-91's picture

I've been looking at the Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder. I've heard one thing about it is that it showed artifacting (mostly in motion). In terms of professional work, how bad is it?

Could someonewho's used this camcorder point me in the right direction?

Does it add more artifacts than I'm trying to take out in post edits (like this one)? Trailing?

hoverboy's picture

I just got back from Ethiopia. Took the HDC-HS700, only difference being records to hard disk instead of flash. Shot a lot of footage while travelling (buses, cars, boats and planes) at speeds of upto 80 km/h (50 mph). Watching on 50" HD tv hasn't shown any artifact that I can see. One work colleague is so impressed with the quality for a "consumer" camera that he's now looking at the TM700.

Matt

XTR-91's picture

Nice to hear. I bought the Panasonic HDC-TM700 and not once just cringed at the quality of footage recorded. Maybe the white balance was off at times, but I've never just looked at it and cringed.

p.s. set the exposure to -3.

edwardt53's picture

I recently purchased a Panasonic TM700 after reading all the positive reviews.

My question is after recording high definition video that looks great on your computer and also looks great playing directly from you camcorder to your television. Have you beenable to burn a DVD that has that same clean crisp image? I know that blu-ray would maintainhigher quality. But have you had success burning DVDs that play on standard players withoutgetting soft rather than crisp images?

I edited some clips in Premiere Pro CS4 on my little MAC and exported it out to a quicktime .mov file.
I tried burning one yesterday ... the footage looks good until it is burned to DVDwhen a obvious loss of sharpness is evident. It doesn't look terrible, but it is not near as good as the original footage.
Have you had to deal with this yet? And if so, do you have an answer for it yet?

Any suggestions appreciated.

hoverboy's picture

I've burned several DVDs and have had consistently sharp footage. I'm not even using higher end editing suites at the moment, simply iMovie. The quality is excellent and shows of the footage, camera and HD tv brilliantly.

Dave Haynie's picture

The TM700 is (was... sadly replaced by the TM900) a great camera. But like any any tool, knowing it helps you get your best results.

Any camcorder using MPEG style compression (MPEG-2, AVC, etc) will have some limitations you won't have with DV models. Simple put, when you have any interframe compression (one frame dependent on subsequent or previous frames... all MPEG algorithms use this), you will absolutely be able to move the camera fast enough to pretty much destroy your video. Unlike most of the camcorders I have used, the TM700 is at least polite enough to suggest you slow down when you do move the camera too fast.

I have used the TM700 as a "B" camera on quite a few projects (HMC40 is the "A" camera) that went to Blu-ray, internet, and DVD. You will not see the quality of the HD video on DVD... not even close. The TM700 is shooting at full HD resolution, DVD has only 1/6th the spatial resolution.

But you can deliver video that is as good as anything you can put on DVD... and in fact, better than any DV camcorder used for DVD (particularly NTSC DV to NTSC DVD, since DV25 in NTSC is encoded in 4:1:1 color, DVD in 4:2:0 color, so you're actually subsampling color twice on the way from realty to DVD if you use DV in-between).