You are here

HD camcorder to VHS

manny's picture

<span style="font-family: arial; font-size: small;"><span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-size: 13px;">

First off thanks for taking the time to read through my question.I am a noob to video editing and so pardon my ignorance.I own a HD camcorder (Sony HDR SR11) that records in the AVCHD format.

I made a documentary for a contest that requires submission in -"standard VHS in either NTSC or PAL/SEACAM formats". I am not sure how to convert my HD video to these formats. How would I approach this? Would I be getting better quality with a (cheaper?) SD camcorder rather than trying to downconvert the HD video?

Also, if I need to burn the HD video onto a regular DVD so that itplays on non-hd televisions - how would I approach that?

Any help would be appreciated.

</span></span>

TDedmonSBP's picture

what program do you use to edit? The new Adobe CS4 collection comes with an encoder that will transcode just about any format into any other. I would look for a video converter that you can specify the framerate and image size and go from therre.

zoobie's picture

Just call your local lab/video shop and ask them to transfer your doc to VHS. What's the prize? A new VHS camera?

Another world's first! - www.BuskerAlley.com - Busker HD on the web!
In Production - Busker Alley - The Movie!
Want to make a small fortune in videography? Start with a large fortune!

TDedmonSBP's picture

listen to zoobie, not me. That was better advice. But similarly, I am curious what contest would still be running with VHS.

manny's picture

Thanks for all your replies.I am submitting to a contest in Singapore.Also, we were planning on making something for the Chicago underground film festival for next year.Their guidelines - 1/2" (standard VHS in either NTSC or PAL/SEACAM formats) videocassette or NTSC DVD.I had a vhs camcorder before and I used imovie for editing. This is my first HD camcorder and hence the confusion.

Also, we were planning on making something for the Chicago underground film festival for next year.Their guidelines - 1/2" (standard VHS in either NTSC or PAL/SEACAM formats) videocassette or NTSC DVD.

Also, I got the camcorder from BestBuy and could swap it for a Canon HV30. Should I stick to AVCHD or go with the HD MiniDV. Any suggestions as to which is better?