You are here

Glidecam HD-2000 or 2000 Pro

mikec82's picture

I am a wedding videographer and am looking at purchasing either a Glidecam HD-2000 or 2000 pro. There is a $200 price difference between the two, so I'm trying to figure out why the HD series is so much more expensive (if it's worth it). Also, does anyone know how often upgrades to this series are released? I don't want to buy the HD if they're going to upgrade in April.

Rob Grauert's picture

I dunno what the difference is, but I thought I should give you a head up about the fact that these are hard to use without the body vest. The weight of your camera and glidecam is too much for your wrist, and you will be lucky to get about 10 minutes of shooting

mikec82's picture

I plan to mostly use it in short increments, mainly for establishing shots of the venue. Thank you for the feedback. I think the next thing on my list is a glidetrack, and then hopefully a vest after that. I've heard the wrist guards work well but you get really sweaty, which is not good when you're in a suit.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Mikec,

You can go the "El Cheapo" route with a Glidecam Body Pod. For less than $200, it's a strap based setup and will allow you to 'wear a suit' with it. Be advised since it is strap based the 'Pod' is tricky to use as you supply the balance. Once you get the hang of it, the pod is fairly easy to use. I've used it with a GC4k for a pro rigged XL1s. It works a lot better with a smaller cam with a flip out LCD so you don't have to get an external monitor. You can wear and use the Pod longer than holding the grip alone or wearing the wrist guard. Ultimately though you'll want to get a Smooth Shooter vest as it will give you more stability.

http://www.glidecam.com/product-body-pod.php

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com