You are here

First Real Estate Video Clients

Anonymous (not verified)

So I'm throwing my hat into the real estate video game in my area and I'm ready to get moving very shortly here. There is just one issue staring me in the face, I have no idea how to approach this.Specifically, I have no idea how to even begin marketing this type of service in my area. Now I understand that much of the business in such a refined, niche market will come via word-of-mouth. But what ways/ideas do you recommend to get things moving?

I have seen some of the suggestions such as offering free tours to the "big" agents in the area so they get a grasp of your work and the other agents catch on wanting the same thing. There has to be other things I should do to start getting in those first couple clients.

Woody Sanford's picture
Plus Member

Look up your area MLS and contact them. Do a couple pro bono's and put up a website and then email anyone on the list you can get from the MLS. Agents are very competitive, look them up under remax, Century 21, what ever and look for the ones in the top ten. They are likely the ones that would get using video anyway but you need to let them play on that and offer it to all of them.

Learn how to handle everything for their video. Uploading to any site they need and the MLS compliant version, the whole ball of wax.

What you want is agents that email you an address and a paypal payment or meet you there and swipe their card on your smart phone, which you can set up through paypal now. You just want an assignment, payment and then at the end a "Looks Great" email. Agents move at a different speed than most and its best to just keep a simple professional relationship with them, don't get to involved or the pro bono work will come back into play, so keep your head.

In the end, do not sell yourself short on price. You are selling to salesmen/women, don't let them set the price lower than it should be. The only thing they love more than selling a house is bartering a lower price for something. Stick to your guns.

Anonymous (not verified)

Thanks for the info Sanford, I'm going through some local MLS listings right now.

Also, thanks for the article Earl.

I have a really good feeling about shifting my focus to building up this type of business in my area. When it comes to the videos, what sites are most often used to stream the videos? Of course there's YouTube and from there you can just embed the video or share the link. Along with MLS but I have seen a couple people talk of other sites they use for their real estate videos as well.

chuckzootz's picture

Be careful, In my town the realty agents have a repution for not being willing to pay

Anonymous (not verified)

Now here's my question when it comes to offering free (pro bono) to a few realtors. I emailed five select ones in my area offering a to do a video for free in exchange for forwarding my name onto other people in their office. Let's say they don't respond back though, which many realtors seem to be good at, at least around here. Then what route should I take?

AsSanford stated, I've got a website, a couple demo just so they have an idea of what to expect.

Woody Sanford's picture
Plus Member

Cody,

When I broke into it it was very difficult till I started playing off the competition. I did a few for local agents and got nothing for it, it was just a waste of time. The quality of the video's did not matter, no matter how much I put into them, that had no effect. Look at your agents franchise, every area has a top ten for each, be it remax or coldwell banker. If you can get the number two guy in your area using video and help him have a good year (help him jazz up his website or what ever) those that want to out do him will beat a path to your door. If he becomes number one, you got it made. But just don't do Pro Bono for anybody.

Agents are a weird bunch. There is a point where selling real estate is no longer about making a living and becomes a ruthless, cut throat competition for very obsessive people. You've got to work on getting the guy everybody thinks they have a shot at beating to use video.

Larry Rizzutti is 100% right. You are selling to salesmen/women. They are the cheapest people on earth and are born to haggle over price. Get a Paypal business account and get the card swiper for your smart phone. You don't pull your camera out of your bag unless you get an email conformation or personally swipe the card.

Smile, be nice to everybody but be firm about getting paid and don't start cheap or you'll never be able to raise the price in that market.

Search this site for an article by Fred light. Wait, here is ishttp://www.videomaker.com/article/14872/I don't agree with everything Fred does since my market is different but he's been on the ball when it comes to the business side. I think you can still find him hanging out on Welcomemat.com

I thought I was starting out way to high but I'm glad I did when it comes to real estate video. I only do about 5-10 a month but if I had started out low, it wouldn't be worth doing now.

Pesi Unwalla's picture

Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations on pricing? What's a good rule of thumb when setting pricing for real estate videos? I fully agree that realtors are a really cheap bunch and i don't want to start too high, nor do I want to give it away for no appreciable gain(?)

I calculated roughly that the amount of labor we put in would be 1-2 hours for shooting, 1-2 hours for post and tack on 1 hour for sales/negotiation/admin/etc. - a total of around 3-5 hours - does that sound right?

Also what would be the most optimal duration for such videos?

Anonymous (not verified)

Pesi, usually the time and hours that you spend is more than your estimation, for example they make ask you revisions, also the time that you are in the way to reach the business should be calculated and can be more than 1,2 hours.

Andrew Mooers's picture

The value of what you do, with video, producing one, adding more and he is what we do. Not just words about it but examples. Lots of them. Means a healthy channel and beyond shooting, editing, rendering and uploading, distribution and cross pollination with the SEO linkage to the blogs, websites, social media round robin. Marketing, not just here's your video like a pizza picked up with a stack of napkins.