You are here

Finding a good camera and software for docs...

profedfoster's picture

I'm starting documentary production soon and I need some information on a good hd pro/prosumer level camera, editing software and shotgun mic. As with everyone else starting out I would like to keep the cost down. The area of 5-7g for all would be great. Most of that would be on the camera. Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Pioneer HMC150 with batteries and accessories $4K if you shop around. Refurbished 27" iMac 2.66GHz Quad Core i5 with 4GB mem & 1TB hard drive is $1,529, leaving plenty of funds for incidentals, tripod or monopod or both, a decent light or set and any one of a number of quality shotgun mics from Rhode, Sennheiser, Audio Technica or even Azden which has improved in quality over the years and become a system work looking at. Should be enough money left over for a can of Red Bull ;-)

The range of software included with your iMac will allow you to do some really decent editing and post production work on your documentaries.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I am so embarrassed and sorry for the misinformation. Must have been thinking one thing while typing another. Yes, Panasonic. My bad.

profedfoster's picture

Chalk it up to happy fingers. I'll look into the cam. The Mac may have to wait a bit. I have a decent comp w/ bluray and can work with it until then. Thanks a bunch on the suggestions!

ophelia's picture

Hi Earl-

"re-furbished 27" imac" + +...

-- where would I find your above mentioned & outfitted machine (at this price)? Thanks!

XTR-91's picture

I've seen pros make documentaries on the Panasonic camcorders - most of even have XLR inputs.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Ophe, go to www.apple.com and click on store or apple store, scroll to the bottom of the page and look on the left under special deals, for "refurbished Mac" and you will find deals that vary and change from day-to-day. This one was listed at the time I originally posted here.