You are here

File transfer with Premiere

videopilot118's picture

Hi everybody, this is my first post here, so I'm not sure if this question has been asked yet:

I recently got a new computer (Toshiba Satellite M645 (500GB of Hdrive, 4GB of RAM, Intel Core i5)) and I was thinking about buying CS5 Master edition. I'm a video student and have learned to edit on FCP 6 and 7, but our iMacs at school have CS5 on it with Premiere. Now my problem is is that my camera I use only has a 6 (or 4 don't remember) pin firewire port and my computer does not (that's really the one downside with my comp, no firewire ports whatsoever). So my plan was to capture the footage on the Premiere at school and then transfer those files to my computer that way I could edit at home. I was wondering if there would be any discrepancy between transferring files on Premiere from Mac to PC. I don't think there would be, but I would just like to be sure. I would like to know this before I put down money on Premiere and then only find out that I wouldn't be able to transfer the files.

My other option, if it is even possible, is if there is an adapter that converts firewire to USB. After searching the web, I haven't found one and don't think such a thing exists. But if anyone happens to know of such a device, please let me know. Thanks.

BruceMol's picture

get a firewire card for your expresscard slot

Just about any type ofvideo file PPro captures from your camera will work in CS5. What won't work is if you save a project file on one os to use on another. Some camera files can be quite large though so you'll need a high capacity usb or sd card.

videopilot118's picture

I didn't think about using the express card slot. I might give that a try. Thanks for the info.