You are here

Field MIxer

Shaun Laframboise's picture

Hey all,

I'm thinking of investing in a field mixer in a while and want to know what I should get and what financial ballpark I should save for.

I'd def. want one that has at least 2 inputs and a very low noise floor. I'm a stickler for hiss, etc. as I was an audio guy before I'm become a video guy. I can do some decent post work to clean up audio, but I've found it's better to spend the extra few hundred on gear rather than spend the time doing audio clean on each project.

So, what do you guys use? What do you like or not like about it? Thanks!

I should add that I'd like to not only record the audio directly into my camera jack, but also be able to easily record it onto an external recorder, like a ZOOM for a back up.

I can monitor it through the camera and through the zoom, respectively to set levels, etc.

I'm guessing that's possible somehow. Any product suggestions?

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Shaun - I'm a Tascam guy (DR-40 recorder), so if I needed a mixer w XLR inputs, I'd get the Tascam DP-008 8 track field mixer/recorder. It combines a field mixer and a recorder into a portable AC/DC powered studio and is on sale right now at Amazon for around $240 - less than the price of Tascam's top of the lineDR-100portable recorder (DP-008 reviewshereand here). If you prefer real VU meters, want 4 XLR inputs instead of 2 and already have a recorder you like, you might prefer the Azden FMX-42 for $519(video review here).

Either of these units will provide a clean, hiss-free mix with good mics and cabling.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Dude.. that's perfect, but is it REALLY low noise? That my biggest concern. I don't need that many channels, so I'd get the 4 channel, smaller and cheaper. Thanks! This could be it... i'm using wireless mics that pick up room sound so I want super low noise preamps..

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

You're right, Shaun. It is a challenge to find a 24-bit/96kHz field mixer/recorder at a reasonable price. That said, several of the small 24-bit/96kHz field recorders have some independent mic level control.

With its recent v1.10 firmware upgrade, the $160 24-bit/96kHz Tascam DR-40 can set its 2 XLR mic levels independently, both from one another and from the 2 internal mics, so it is functionally a mixer - but I still miss a standalone mixer's knobs, dials and VU meters :-)

If you prefer dials to rocker switches for setting mic levels, the $400 multi-track 24-bit/96kHzOlympus LS-100 or the $500 6 channel 24-bit/96kHzRoland R-26 might be better choices.

Cheers and good luck,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Sorry - forgot to include the B&H reviews for these recorders, which are here for the Tascam:http://vimeo.com/36146824

Here for the Olympus:http://vimeo.com/35918164

and here for the Roland:http://vimeo.com/35712004

Hope this is helpful.

sweet.. the LS100 looks great... I love the Tascam better.. can't believe they don't record in 48K... gonna wait a bit before I pull the trigger on any of these and do more research. I have a workaround, it just requires a mixer and laptop... these units are much simpler... thanks so much.

What do you use? What do you like about it? This goes to anyone as well. Thanks Bill!

Tascam DR100mkii it is. Going to wait a bit, but this one is def. the one for me.

It's got great signal to noise ratio which is key for me. I may never use the onboard mics, ever, but it's nice to have them.. might even sell my Rode VideoMic Pro I have if it's better than that (which I bet it will be, but anyone know anything about that?)

The ability to record in 'dual' mode which records the same file, but at -12 quieter in case there's a level spike and it distorts on your regular recording. Love it.

For about $300 you can get this, the charger and the 3.5mm cable and immediately uplevel your audio.

Need a few more gigs to pay it off, but it's on the list for sure.. no need to lug my 16 channel mixer and laptop with me to shoots!