You are here

FCP 7 making it's own clips

mskvideo's picture

Whjen I try to capture a long clip (45 minutes or so, from a JVC GY-HD200 camcorder/mini-DV tape format),FCP breaks it into two clips, with around seven seconds missing in the middle. This has happened when I capture using Intermediate Codec, as well as setting in/out points with a 720p30 Sequence Preset.

How do I fix this?

Rob Grauert's picture

hmm...i've never heard this problem, but I'll take a shot at it.

First go to Applications > Utilities > DisK Utility. Open Disk Utility and make sure the drive you are capturing your media to is formatted for Mac OS Extended. (actually, all your drives should be formatted to this)

If your drives are already formatted for Mac OS Extended go to FCP. Go to Final Cut Pro > System Settings. Go to the Scratch Disk tab. At the bottom this is an option labeled, "Limit Capture/Export File Segment Size To:" Make sure you DO NOT have that box checked.

Actually, make sure BOTH of those boxes at the bottom are UNCHECKED

mskvideo's picture

Yes, both those boxes are unchecked. Thanks.

Michael Kinney
MSKvideo
703-863-6903

mskvideo's picture

My capture drive _is_ formatted Mac Os Extended (Journaled)

Michael Kinney
MSKvideo
703-863-6903

Rob Grauert's picture

Sorry, Preferences is located in:

Home > Library > Preferences > Final Cut Pro User Data. Only delete "Final Cut Pro 'X.X' Prefs.fcset" If you delete those Cache files, you'll have to reinstall FCP

Be aware that after you trash the prefs, you're going to have to set up FCP again...scratch drive location, a/v settings, any of those option in those menus.

mskvideo's picture

rob,

Thanks. Did that too, still no joy. I ended up capturing in 15-minute increments and stitching it together on the timeline. JVC has a firmware update I'm about to try.

Michael Kinney
MSKvideo
703-863-6903

mskvideo's picture

Just an FYI for others experiencing this issue: I seemed to have solved it by shooting in Drop Frame mode.

Previously I'd been shooting Non-Drop, and I guess when the inevitable discrepancy builds up, FCP hiccups and starts a new clip.

I was able to capture an hour long clip with no breaks, just using the regular 720p60 Sequence Preset.

Michael Kinney
MSKvideo
703-863-6903

Rob Grauert's picture

You format any drive using Disk Utility. The program is located in Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.

One the left had side, choose the hard drive you want to format.

Choose the "Erase" Pane

Change the Volume Format to Mac OS Extended.

Then click Erase.

If you have data on your hard drive, be sure to back it up before you erase/format the drive.