You are here

External Drives for imac 24"

Chris Harmon's picture

My office bought an iMac 24" with FCE. And it has USB 2.0, FW400/FW800 ports, and a single internal hard drive.

Every single training book or video tells you to run your files off a separate hard drive, so I want to add an external drive. I'm looking at LaCie, G-Raid, and OWC externals. If any of you have any comments about these drives, please post your opinions. Thanks!

augiecrazy8's picture

I have a 20" iMac (with several upgrades), but I use a Western Digital 500GB external hard drive and have never had a problem with it. Works great, and I got it for $75 at Best Buy. With Time Machine, my entire hard drive is backed up, and all my projects (video, graphic & web design) are all saved on here with no problem. It sits on my desktop and is easily accessible... plus it simply plugged in with a USB firewire.

mskvideo's picture

I recommend the LaCie Rugged. I've used them all over the world, in extreme environments (hurricanes, war zones) and never had a hiccup. They're MIL-Spec (MIL-STD-810), USB-powered, extremely portable, and pretty much the gold standard for traveling journalists.

I've seen them at Apple stores, or:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/558882-REG/LaCie_301371_500GB_Rugged_Triple_Interface.html

I believe they have a 1T model out now.

Michael Kinney
MSKvideo
703-863-6903

210pe's picture

I recommend anything with a Western Digital drive inside. I have personally had bad luck with Maxtorr, Seagate and never ever buy a DeskStar (nicknamed Death Star they are so bad) drive. I have had good luck with Lacie drives too.

Travis

D0n
D0n's picture

as far as the WD mybooks are concerned... The original ones we bought a few years back are outliving the newest ones we bought last year... quality gone downhill.....

g raid and lacie are good.

I just set up a dlink323 net as a raid for back-ups, but you'll need a second (go with firewire) raid set up for working on.

210pe's picture

I can't speak to the mybooks. I generally build anything I need including external hard drives. Can pick up an external enclosure and stick in the drives/sizes you want easier than picking up something at a big box...but that's me and I'm cheap!

Travis