You are here

Equipment Recommendations

Anonymous (not verified)

I have been tasked with creating videos for my organization. The videos will be primarily tutorials, CEO messages and recordings of various community events as well as the occassional video podcast. My video production experience would be best classified as "Beginner".

As I've been putting together my list of hardware and software needs, I want to make sure I don't buy equipment that's well beyond our needs, but also will not give us buyer's remorse in the near future. I also want to be considerate of cost; especially since this is a new function for the organization.

I'm interested to get the community's feedback and recommendations. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Below is my equipment list right now:

COMPUTER
I'm aware that that are rumors that Apple might be introducing new iMac and Mac Pro models in late 2012 / early 2013. I don't know if I can wait until then...

Apple 27" iMac - 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

OR

Apple Mac Pro - One 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB solid-state drive + 2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB

Monitor for Mac Pro: I would be interested in a recommendation for this besides Apple Cinema display.

VIDEO
Camera - Canon XA10 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749467-REG/Canon_4922B002_XA10_HD_Professional_Camcorder.html)

Davis & Sanford PROVISTA18 ProVista Tripod with FM18 Head (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/623781-REG/Davis_Sanford_PROVISTA18_PROVISTA18_ProVista_Tripod_with.html)

AUDIO
Microphone - Looking for recommendations. The Canon XA10 has 2 XLR inputs and shotgun mic mount.

SOFTWARE
I plan to use iMovie and Garageband, but will eventually move up to either Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere. I also hope to eventually do work in After Effects.

Anything else that I'm missing? Sorry for the long message.

Thanks!
Derek

Fatal error: Call to undefined function fasttoggle_link() in /disk1/public_html/sites/all/modules/author_pane/modules/fasttoggle.author-pane.inc on line 18