You are here

Dropping frames with Hi8 Camera

trobi19's picture

For years, I have come across the problem of dropping frames when trying to capture video in a good quality from my Hi8 Camcorder. I'm aware that it isn't unusual for that to happen with 8mm/Hi8 capturing, but are there any possible tricks or other free capturing softwares that could help me with this problem? This is by far the most frustrating experience for me when I do my editing. I am currently using Pinnacle Studio 12 ultimate. Thanks.

SafetyMan's picture

How are you capturing your video into your computer? Are you using USB or Firewire? Is the camera digitizing the video or are you using an external box to convert your composite video from the camera to Firewire or USB.

Inmy experience, USB simply does not have enough bandwidth to capture video without dropping frames. The reason is that the USB buss is shared, so everytime you touch the keyboard, or move the mouse you are taking just a little bit of bandwith away from your video stream. I had a similar issue and ultimately just started importing my video using Firewire and the issue went away. Anytime I now need to digitize a VHS or Hi-8 tape, I connect the source to my DV camera, let the DV camera digitize and send to my computer via firewire. If you don't have DV camera, there are several external boxes that will convert analog video to digital and send it to your computer via firewire.

Another thing to look out for is to save your video to a hard drive that you use only for data. Encoding the video and saving it on the drive that your operating system is on can cause issues as your drive may not be able to read data to operate the software you are using and write to the hard drive at the same time.

The last and final thing is to make sure that your computer is capable of handling the video source. For best results, you should be operating well above the minimum system requirements of Pinnacle 12

trobi19's picture

I'm using an external hardware device that pinnacle provided thats basically a box that takes traditional analog,(yellow video, red/white audio), an S-video, and a firewire input...and then the output is through a usb cable into the computer. So i assume the box is only converting from composite to USB.

The captured video is being saved to an external hard drive, rather than my OS drive, and my computer is in pretty good shape as far as handling video.

I like the idea of having an external box that will convert analog to digital then send through firewire...just not sure where to look for that.

XTR-91's picture

Cyberlink PowerDirector has a "non-realtime" capture option, which gives it the ability to capture video meticulously without dropping frames. Your software might offer this feature, which will probably take longer, but would be fully automatic. That's one reason I've never purchased a DV camcorder, due to its nature of streaming video,which I doubt even my 1.66 GHz dual core is capable of handling.

SafetyMan's picture

If your external drive is USB that is probably the issue as you are capturing over USB, processing that, and then sending a video stream back over USB. Your USB buss is simply overloaded. As an experiment if you want to try the realtime encoding, try capturing to your "C:" drive (even though it contradicts my advice above) or other internal drive. If you don't drop frames then find a different way to connect that external hard drive, either firewire or eSATA.

By way of comparison, my machine is a 2.8GHz, single core w/ 3.5G ram. I use my DV camera to digitize analog video and send it into my computer via firewire. I use an external hard drive dock (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071&cm_re=thermaltake-_-17-153-071-_-Product) connected via eSATA to save and edit my video. This setup captures HD 1080i 30fps content without dropping frames. On the same rig, if I try to capture via USB orsave to an external USB drive I will drop3-5 frames every 10 minutes.

trobi19's picture

Yep. My capturing device is through USB and my computer is sending the video back to my external Hard drive through USB. My external only has the USB option, so for now I can drive capturing to my C drive, then putting captured video onto my external after.

I'm also considering buying a MiniDV camcorder with great quality, mic jack, and analog input so I can digitize my analog video that way also...any suggestions?

Also, my system should be fairly capable Intel Dual Core processor 1.8ghz. 2MB ram

SafetyMan's picture

I don't know what quality or price range you are considering, so I will tell you my preferences.

My favorite consumer cameras are Canon. The one that I use for home use is several years old and isan Optura 40 (When I bought it it was considered a High End consumer camera). It has a hotshoe and mic jack andanalog inputs. I will often use it as a second camera in 2 camera shoots that I do at the kid's school, and I have been very pleased with it even though it is only an SD camera. Great camera for capturing family moments.

I assist a small organization with small video shoots as well and we purchased a Hi Def Sony HVRA1U which technically is a professional camera, but very low end at about $2000. It was bought primarially because of the XLR microphone inputs and some of the features that it has. I have used this for a variety of different events and I like it, but it is a bit heavy if you are going to be using it for a while without a tripod, after about 30 minutes, my hand starts going numb.

trobi19's picture

Well, I'm pleased to say that capturing on to the C drive worked perfectly. I didn't drop any frames,and captured at highest possible quality. I'll probably go this route until I look into purchasing a new camera.

Thanks