You are here

Deciding between Canon cams, help?

Mightytaiger's picture

Hello!

I am new on this forum and I'm starting film school in a couple of weeks. One of the materials I will need for this semester is, of course, a camera.

My school suggestshttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/597358-REG/Canon_3543B001_ZR960_MiniDV_Camcorder_.html/

but I can use another camcorder as long as it can perform the same tasks or more.

I read the reviews on it and it seems to be a nice camera but for casual use and I would like to get a camera that I will be able to use in future projects such as short films and documentaries, instead of buying a basic one now and then having to buy another one.

I saw this other Canon on sale and the reviews seem to be better. A bit more money but it seems that I would get a lot more (?)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671645-REG/Canon_4355B001_VIXIA_HF_M30_Dual.html

I don't know as of yet what exact projects we will be doing during the semester but I do know that there will be a lot of file transferring to the computer in order to upload it on the class forum. - I have a <span style="font-family: 'Lucida Grande', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px;">MacBookPro7,1- so I was also wondering if flash memory was easier for this or if MiniDV was a better option.</span>

<span style="font-family: 'Lucida Grande', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px;">If anyone could let me know which camcorder is a better option or direct me to another better deal, I would really appreciate it!</span>

<span style="font-family: 'Lucida Grande', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px;">Thank you. :)</span>

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

I'm sure that others will chime in here and you should get lots of advice. Between these two models, a few things that I noticed was: ZR960- very small imager(1/6"),microphone jack yes, headphone jack no, 37x zoom, some manual operation functionality, standard definition: HF M30- somewhat larger imager (1/4"), microphone jack yes, headphone jack yes,15x zoom, some manual operation functionality, high definition. Imager size is important- larger imager usully means better quality image. Microphone jack allows you to connect external mic- good thing to look for. Headphone jack allows monitoring audio as you are shooting- good thing. 15x zoom is adequate and 37x is much better. Manual operation helps you to do more things with your video as your skils develope. Standard versus high definition, high def gives great looking video but you need higher level of computer and software to edit, if you scout through these forums you will find lots of info about this. You may check your school to see what sort of software and computers areavailable for you use or if you must do the editing on your own setup. Both camcorders are reasonably priced for a starter. Your ability to produce great video will depend more on your attention to detail (lighting, framing etc)in shooting and editing than on the advanced features of your camcorder.

Good shooting!

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Overall I'd go with vid-e-o-man's assessment of the HF M30 being the better choice, especially with B&H's special on through Jan. 29 for $200 off regular price. This is a LOT of camera for $399. I'm tempted to pick up two of them for point-of-view units myself.