You are here

Cropping video

Anonymous (not verified)

I have started videography as a hobby. How difficult is it to crop video frames? Any suggestions for suitable software?

Anonymous (not verified)

Thanks for your reply, Jack.

Main reason would be to remove unwanted portions (just as you would for a photograph). However, if as you indicate, image quality would deteriorate, there would not be much point (for me) in doing so. Sometimes, one cannot get close enough to an intended subject to avoid unwanted surrounding detail. I was therefore interested in 'cropping".

Anonymous (not verified)

There is also other tricks without messing with the quality, such as masking areas and key-chrome scenery or other items in the masked area. Since you are masking, it doesn't reduce the quality of the original video.

SafeHarbor's picture

SD video won't take much cropping (blowing up) at all before degradation becomes apparent. For HD video, because there are so many pixels, you have more leeway to adjust before quality change becomes obvious.

Here's a tip - if working with HD source material, intended for SD delivery such as DVD, you can put the HD video into an SD project, and then you have a MUCH larger image than fits the "canvas", so you can crop a LOT and even do animated zooms and pans by using keyframes, simulating camera moves from a static video clip. To a point, you can do this with NO quality loss. Most NLEs should support this, we don't know what you use. Apps like Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Edius, are going to handle this. Can't comment on consumer editing apps.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Anonymous (not verified)

Many thanks to SafeHarbor and Ed for your responses. My experience in video editing is relatively small. I have what I consider to be two reasonably decent consumer camcorders which I use educationally (improving school practice for teachers and students) as well as on social and ceremonial occasions. The end result is usually a DVD. I usually record in SD format (High Quality) with very satisfactory results. I have been using Cyberlink products for editing and I am thinking of trying Adobe premiere to see what it can do. Any useful suggestions would be welcome.

Gerry Rose

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Before you commit to Adobe Premiere, take a look at the trial version of Sony Movie Studio 11 Platinum. It handles HD as well as SD very well; it's fairly easy to learn to use and, combined with DVD Architect, will allow you to create DVDs quite easily once you've finished editing and polishing your projects.

Sony has an excellent support forum, too, so you'll have a way of asking and receiving answers to any question you might have.

I believe the trial version is good for 30 days, which will give you ample time to see whether you like the program. Test it along with other programs to find one that suits your needs and tastes.

Jack

VideOccasions

Martha Montgomery's picture

I use the program Corel video Studio pro 5. And you can download the trial free. In effects there is an effect called Video Pan and Zoom. I believe this effect is what you are looking for.

lima's picture

hi chris,

thank you for your info. it is helpfull for me.