You are here

Creating In-House Corporate Video

bennyg's picture

Hi there,

My name is Ben and I have been tasked by my boss to create a short informational video about our company. I have a background in video production, but it was a long time ago (about 10 years). The editing software hasn't changed much from when I was elbow deep in the media world, but cameras have changed a lot. I used to use DV tapes, but now there are a lot of digital and flash drive based cameras.

My question is which type of camera would be adequate for what I'm trying to do? I've priced lighting kits already and we have Adobe editing software, so really it's the camera I'm curious about. I don't think we'll want to spend more than $500 on a camera.

Will I be able to get a polished look from a camera that cheap? Cameras have gotten so cheap nowadays, but are they good quality? I see a lot of them cost under $300 and say they record in 1080HD.

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

Ben, you can get good results with a consumer grade camcorder but you have to make sure that you follow basic techniques. Good lighting is key to obtaining good images. Framing the subject, steady camera (tripod or steading device) and good audio capture along with lighting should give you the images that you can import into your computer and process and output for the result that you can be satisfied with. Using a consumer cam that can produce HD will produce as long as you have the computer, software and display equipment for this.