You are here

Creating DVDs from VHS tapes

Welshmike's picture

Please help.

I want to copy all my old VHS tapes to DVDs and believe that I did do one about 6 years ago ago.

I'm not sure what video editing software I used as I had and still have Ulead VideoStudio 5 and Ulead VidoeStudio 6 SE DVD. It may have been Pinnacle Studio 8 borrowed from a friend. Also I've forgotten what connections I need from VHS recorder/player to my PC. IIRC I used a Scart adapter from the VHS player, maybe the SVHS connecter via cable lead to SVHS connecter on appropriate desktop PC's PCI card. Stupid me having lost the info about that PCI card. Guess I need to take it out of the PC, put a photo on the web and ask forum members their advice.

Rob Grauert's picture

I have a JVC miniDV/VHS deck that has firewire. With that I am able to connect to Final Cut Pro and change the options in FCP to "non-controllabledevice". VHS is analog so it has to be set to "non-controllable device." From there I would press play on my deck and click on the "Capture Now" button to allow for real-time capture.Hopefully you have something like that in your program.

If you do not have a firewire deck you may need to purchase an RCA to firewire converter. You would connect the VCR to the converter with the RCA wires and then connect the converter to your computer with a Firewire.

Kemper's picture

Hey Rob,

Your JVC unit sends the VHS through the firewire cable? So does the unit have an analog to digital converter built in or does the firewire output cable connect to a converter before hitting the computer?

Also, do you use this to capture your DV footage to avoid wear and tear on your camera?

Thanks,

Cole

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

If all you're looking to do is copy the VHS tapes to DVD without editing you could just buy a dual DVD/VHS recorder. I got one (a Sony) for about $160 and it has one button copying (as well as RCA inputs for external sources, like my old 8mm videocamera). Very simple for just copying to DVD.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

Kemper's picture

Birdcat-

I looked into those. But I transfer the usual assortment of camcorder tapes and VHS to DVD but I add menus and chapter stops, remove blank or distorted frames and enhance the audio.I am using a very basic VCR for VHS right now going through an analog cable connected to a DataVideo DAC-200. I would love to upgrade the VCR especially if the unit can also capture my DV tapes without adding hours to my cameras. I have heard that it is best to use the originating camera for capture but I am curious if anyone uses this type of deck for that as well.

Cole

cjvideo's picture

Using a dvd recorder is a very easy way to do it. If you want fancy menus and such, most of the software programs offer dvd authoring. I use Pinnacle 12 Ultimate and like the freedom for chapters it gives.