You are here

Copying a file from a DVD to your computer

DannysStudio's picture

Hey, i was wondering how to copy a file from a DVD rom to your computer. I just need a basic step by step process to finish my damn project. Any help would be great.

brandon0409's picture

I was a little confused as to what you are asking. Are youtrying to copy a file from a DVD Rom (with files) or from a DVD video?

For DVD Rom (files):
All you have to do is drag it and drop it from the folder to the desktop, or where ever you want it to go. Same on Mac and PC. That's pretty much it.

For DVD (Video Disc):
Unfortunately you're not going to get much of a step by step because there are so many different ways to do it.

1st: is this a professional DVD (ie, Disney, Paramount, Universal) or a homemade DVD such as from a DVD camcorder.

If it is a DVD camcorder, the easiens way is to finalize the disk and use something like DVD decryptor to download them to your computer. (Note: I say DVD decryptor because it downloads the entire file system from the DVD).

2nd: Unfortunately, step two is a little more difficult. You will have to find a program that convert the DVD files to mpeg or avi files. Unfortunately they are difficult to find fully free. usually they have a 5 min. restriction or are not free. There is a website that allows you to upload your videos and it will convert them and email you back so that you can download the conversion. I will see if I can find the site and post it here.

Now if you are trying to download a pro DVD, you may have trouble doing so because of the copyright restrictions on the disc. But since that is illegal I will not walk you through that.

mrjman's picture

Two software products that do the trick:

FREE: MPEG Streamclip is a powerful free video converter, player, editor for Mac and Windows.It can play many movie files, not only MPEGs; it can convert MPEG files between muxed/demuxed formats for authoring; it can encode movies to many formats, including iPod; it can cut, trim and join movies. MPEG Streamclip can also download videos from YouTube and Google by entering the page URL.

Commercial: iSofter DVD to YouTube Converter is fast and easy to use DVD to YouTube video converter software. It helps you convert home DV or DVD to YouTube supported video MPEG-4(DivX,XviD) with excellent image and sound
quality.

Answer from The Ultimate Youtube Question and Answer Resource

I had the same question on another forum post and someguy told me about this stuff... idk if it works but its at least worth trying out...

DannysStudio's picture

alright, thx guys, but I relize that its not as easy as I would of thought. But thanks for the help!