You are here

Classic-cam new kid on the block

Tom123's picture
Need to know if is worth the money.
Did someone try one yet?
www.classic-cam.com

Tom123's picture
Looks like no one did
Just from the pictures - what you guys think about it.
I do have video head that i can use.
The car option and the boom arm design ( for me ) also looks attractive.
Looks like the foam is cover with fabric.

compusolver's picture
Back when a Panny C7 was my #1 camcorder (that lasted about two months), I fell in love with the shoulder mount idea. When I switched to a VX2100, I bought a shoulder mount for it, but the cam is too front-heavy and didn't feel right.

Now, everybody is making these shoulder type "super rigs" that mount over both shoulders and have various gadgets and attachments. One of the other video magazines profiled one in this month's issue.

As for me, if I have to "wear" a rig, then I want more out of going to all that trouble, than just mounting. I'll want a glidecam type rig, (or Varizoom, Steadicam, etc.) so I can get those smooth, floating camera moves.

Bottom line (IMHO) too much money and trouble for what you get back.

Tom123's picture
Thanks for the reply. I shot my sons games. No room for tripod on the stands. Are you saing that ( while sitting down ) with a video head ( with a handle ) mounted under the camcorder i wont get smooth shots?

compusolver's picture
Tom,

You don't say what kind of game, but unless its one that lasts less than ten minutes, it can be very difficult to handhold a camcorder still for an entire game.

What makes it worse is that if you're in the stands, you're probably wanting to telephoto. That makes any tiny shake look like the San Francisco earthquake. No, I don't think one of these rigs is going to make for a good sports-shooting mount up in the stands.

Not only that, but specators can stomp feet, etc. and vibrate those stands pretty good.

How 'bout forgoing the coke & peanuts until after the game, forget the stands and get down on the sidelines with a mono pod?