You are here

Capture for all software

ophelia's picture

Hopefully this is posted in the correct place: Is it possible to capture video with one type of software (ie: Sony Vegas) and edit the same footage with another (ie: Premiere Pro)?

Rob Grauert's picture

that's not really a good workflow unless you have a specific reason for capturing with one program and editing in another.

For example, one may want to capture as ProRes with Final Cut, edit in Avid, and then go back to Final Cut so they can color grade with Color

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Ophelia,

Yeah it can be done in a pinch, but like Rob I don't necessarily recommend it. Case in point, I was capturing racing footage via CS3 (Premiere Pro) but found some issues to be worked out between the software and the deck I was using. Since I was under the gun, I just captured the footage in Vegas. Though I could have used Vegas to edit the piece, there was a certain workflow I needed to follow and Premiere would make that work. The captured footage played well in Premiere, but then new issues popped up with the differences in the footage filing systems between the two programs. Fortunately, it was a simple fix but it could have been a major pain. Now I have all the 'ssues' worked out but unless it's an emergency, I only capture within the program I'm using.

Now a workaround can come from a capture card like the types made by Black Magic Designs, AJA and Matrox to name a few. NLE's primarily use a software solution and firewire (or God forbid USB) to capture your footage. Capture cards on the other hand use dedicated hardware/software solutions to capture footage via a link to your NLE software or in some cases independently. I tend to like this option because you can bring in your software in a much more NLE friendly format and quality level. Not to mention if you're working with other editors on a project, it makes it easier to package the footage for them to use if they aren't using your exact NLE software.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

ophelia's picture

Thanks Rob & Composite. I should have used a different comparison - like Cyberlink and CS5. Basically, I was wondering if I would have to start from scratch (re-capture) in order to re-work a story created in a basic/simpler video program.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I know most NLE captures tie in to the apps workflow but I have used Vegas capture independently and used the AVI's in other NLE's.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

ophelia's picture

Birdcat:

"I know most NLE captures tie in to the apps workflow but I have used Vegas capture independently and used the AVI's in other NLE's..."

Okay - so in "newb" speak - you can edit your project with say Avidor Premiere usingclips you captured inVegas? Correct? Now, can you turn that around? Can you edit in Vegas using clips captured with Cyberlink or Corel (or some other lower level NLE)? Do they just open when selected, or is there a trick to it?

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Hi Ophelia -

To answer you question I would need to know what format those apps capture video in - Vegas is very robust and will edit many different formats natively (including AVCHD, MPEG-2 or Red One) as long as your PC can handle it (I would recommend the biggest, fastest, most memory machines for some of those).

Vegas Pro 9 Tech Specs - http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/techspecs

Personally, I edit AVCHD (MTS), MPEG-2, AVI and Quicktime (MOV) directly on the timeline (I usually convert MTS to M2T first).

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Hi Travis -

I use New Blue FX AVCHD UpShift - Does a stellar job! My only complaint would be how long it takes (I sometimes have hours of MTS files) on a Pentium IV @ 2.6 GHz w/ 3GB RAM. At some point I will have a more modern computer which will make conversion faster or might make it unnecessary entirely.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

"Can you edit in Vegas using clips captured with Cyberlink or Corel (or
some other lower level NLE)? Do they just open when selected, or is
there a trick to it?"

Ophelia,

When using lower end NLE software in the PC environment, switching to use in a more prosumer/pro NLE environment will depend on your primary set of codecs. Case in point, generally if it will play in Win Media Player your pro apps should be able to work with it no prob. Same goes with Quicktime if your NLE (which it should) has support for .mov, mpeg-4 and so on files. Easiest way to check is to capture a sample clip in Cyberlink or whatever and try to open the clip in WMP or QT. If it does play you should be good to go. If it doesn't it's usually because you don't have a corresponding codec on your machine or it's just not compatible with WMP or QT. The problem with that is usually consumer editing software often does not allow for you to convert the footage to something 'usable' by pro NLE's. So unless you pick up some converter software like 'Cat mentioned, you may have to suck it up and deal with your footage as is.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com