You are here

Can't get DVD-R to play on anything

izzybay's picture

Hello,

I recently got a homemade dvd-r from my mother-in-law from Jordan. (I live in the US.) I have tried playing the dvd on my computer, 3 dvd players and my xbox360. No luck, all it says is no disk on all of the dvd players I have tried using. I've tried using different programs on my computer such as windows media player, avs, lvc ( I beleve that's what it's called) and real player. Nothing works, is there anything I can do? Or is it a hopeless disk?

Replies are much appreciated! Thank you!

doublehamm's picture

Most likely a bad disc? Could be the PAL/NTSC difference - but I am not sure if computers should have much issue with that. I have played PAL files on my computer just fine in the past.

izzybay's picture

I have no idea. I'm new to all this, so I'm not big into the technical stuff, I would pretty much need everything spelled out for me direction-wise. haha. But it seems like there is no hope for this little disk :l I figured it was a format difference between the countries, so I've been trying to find media players that they use overseas and so far no luck :[ I swear though, my mother-in-law calls just about every single day asking if we've seen the dvd, we keep telling her the computer is broken :X

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Could also have something to do with "regional codes" as well as the PAL/NTSC and there's even a third one out there called SECAM. The other fact of the matter is that it could simply be a bad burn or otherwise defective.

As far as determining what the DVD has been recorded in, probably you'll need to connect with someone locally who has a means for making that determination and it is most certainly beyond my pay grade, sorry.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

When you put it into the computer, instead of playing look at it in File Explorer - What is the directory/file structure look like?

Is it something similar to this:

MYDISC (D:)
AUDIO_TS
VIDEO_TS
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

Rocky M's picture

Agree with Birdcat check if the DVD contains files of any description. Trust the following may assist.

Jordanoperates on thePAL B/G sytemand DVD's from therewill play on either a multi system DVD player or computer drive. Even if that DVD was playedon a NTSC or SECAM player, jumbled lines would appear on the screen, with audio scrambled.

Most common problem with DVD's from overseas and friends is when they are recordedon a DVD player, they are not FINALIZED at the completion of the recording. This means that whilst they will replay on that original recorder/player they will not replay on any other DVD player. Regards