You are here

Canon's Awesome New Camera....

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Here's a first look at the Canon C300 Cine Style CMOS Sensor Video Camera. Built upon all the best bits and more from their HDSLR line of cameras, the C300 looks to be an awesome rig for those interested in serious filmmaking. However, the price of the camera body and lenses put it right into the range of the RED ONE without the same powerful image resolution.

Had they made this new rig intended for the Prosumer/Pro market, they would have dropped another 'atom bomb' on the DSLR industry. Hopefully, they'll put all that tech into the 5D MkIII! In the meantime, enjoy the tremendous advances canon has made in removing the 'jello effect', moire and noise at high ISO.

Canon EOS C300 = Awesome from Jonathan Yi on Vimeo.

doublehamm's picture

I should be happy it should not hurt the market of the FS100! For the price of the Canon, the Scarlet is probably a better route if you need 4k res at similar budgets. If you don't the Canon does look nice!

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Double,

Yes, if you've got that kind of cash (20k for the body + 20-45k for lenses not including the accessories to shoot in full cinema style) I'd say blow it on an EPIC and get the resolution. I'm thoroughly disappointed they only offer 1k resolution, especially at that price. What I am excited about is the prospect of them putting that tech in the 5D MkIII. Another thing they didn't mention was did they square away that 12 minute clip issue and the heat issue? For 20k I would think they better have. I seeeeeriously think Canon dropped the ball by not making this rig in the $2.5k - 5k price range. It would have been a serious competitor with the FS100 and would blow away anything other than the RED Line of cameras. Now if you're running a full-sized production house and do fully funded features, this would be a good rig. Still though, the FS100 is a nice choice.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

doublehamm's picture

As per my earlier post, My budget has grown to $500,000, but it must include 12 different music videos (2 artists, 6 videos a piece). Everything should be finalized this week hopefully (fingers crossed)

I keep getting these mood swings in my head. For an hour I am thinking "Hey why not blow $100k on an epic setup just to have one!", but then the next hour I think "Do I really need it? A couple of FS100s would do just fine!" Trying to justify the C300 fitting in there somewhere as well, but I just do not see a place.

doublehamm's picture

As for the 12 minute clip caveat, my guess is it would be solved as I know for the FS100 at least the body design allows for better cooling and longer clips. Even if it didn't, adding a ninja recorder to capture uncompressed video via HDMI can solve that issue in just about any camera.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Double,

Way to go on pulling that budget out! You're right about getting an EPIC setup. Unless you've got paying customers who specifically request that format, put the cash to good use elsewhere. Bottom line is to keep your gear costs low compared to the budgets you're working with. For just the cost of a C300 or EPIC body, you could completely outfit two FS100's with wide-angle lenses, rails, matteboxes, good tripods and support gear. Now that there are some cool (and cheap) SSD recorders via SDI or HDMI, you will have plenty of cash left over for a seeeeeerious workstation and workstation/laptop with the software you need for both. All that without sweating the load. I had the opportunity to get setup like that a couple of times and it was a 'lovely feeling'.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

doublehamm's picture

I am scared really. It is still in my mind something "too good to be true", but everything seems to be going as planned and should have it soon. Feeling very lucky at this point literally haven fallen into my current position.

There goes my mood swing again. After writing the last post I was thinking "EPIC EPIC EPIC", now after your post I am back to the FS100!

Now... the main thing that COULD change this is that there will also be other funds from the album signing that will be used for building a studio (audio AND video) and if that were the case, putting in a 4k projector might be viable for client viewing.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Eh, there is a correlation. Again, I stress get a 4k projector when you have regular paying clients who require viewing high res video. All gear must pay for itself either through direct use towards production or in support of the endeavor. I also wouldn't sweat what could come in fund wise. Yeah, you keep in mind a plan for the what if's. Right now, concentrate on what you have going currently. Nothing worse than getting 'zapped' when what could have, doesn't pan out and you've neglected what is.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I checked up on the stats on the C300 and guess what? It has an HDMI out! That means you can bypass that 8-bit compression right? Wrong. Even the HDMI out you could hook up to a solid-state recorder is also 8-bit. However, there's a 'de-noising' function which apparently smooths noise out to 16-bit. Apparently, it's possible because of the camera's 4k sensor (which is the same as the 7D) which records in 4:4:4

Phillip Bloom's blog breaks it down in a pre-check of the camera.

Phillip Bloom First look at C300

Kenkyusha's picture

In one video I thought someone mentioned timesync lock and assumed that it had HD/SDI out too... if not, that seems like a pretty major oversight.