You are here

Canon XH-A1S 3CCD vs Canon XA10 1CCD

Tim_Hughes_TX's picture

Hey! Alright, I have a budget of up to 2,500 for my 2nd camera, I'm researching around this budget. I am already working with a Canon VIXIA HF-M41, so I'm sticking with Canon.

Basically I want to know y'all opinion on this matter. Should I get the more professional looking, yet older model, XH-A1S or the small lightweight, yet effective and newer model, the XA10. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Any input is very appreciated.

-Tim

Ian Kirkpatrick's picture

Itreallydepends on your application. I spent a lot of time researching between the two cameras and settled on the XA10. I am really happy with it. The internal memory and dual slot recording are good features. Some of the manual controls are embedded in the software but are pretty intuitive to find and not too hard to access. The XH-A1S, although I have never owned one, is a pretty impressive cameravisually,but is a bit behind the XA10 intermsof performance, especially at low light.

Have a head to head comparison onhttp://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/

As you are already using a memory based camera, I think going back to a tape camera would be a backwards step.

Tim_Hughes_TX's picture

I like where your heads at, very good points. Although, one of my biggest concerns is the 3CCD vs the 1/3 CCD. I have also read that the XA10 has a bit of a "rattle" problem, have you experienced this? The other concern I had, because I am a beginning professional, is "looking the part" when I show up to a gig. I know this sounds a bit lame, but let's be honest, a big ol XH-A1S looks way better than the XA10. And this mere factor could be the make or break point when it comes to consistent cliental.

-Tim

chuckzootz's picture

I use a hf g10, same glass and sensor as the XA 10 internal memory and dual slots for additional memory I out performs the vixia hf 10 and hf 200 I have been using. The sensor in the hf g10 is Canons newest sensor and it rocks. When i got it I took it to a fairly well lit night scene and the footage looked exceptional Good color, good well balanced exposure, and good dynamic range, best of all no noticeable noise. I would suggest the XA 10 because of the newer technology.

Ian Kirkpatrick's picture

Hi Tim

The XA10 uses a CMOS image sensor so it is not really comparable with a 1CCD or 3CCD camera. What really matters is the end result and as Larry has said the XA10 does give exceptional results with goodcolourrendition and dynamic range, even under lower light conditions.

I have never experienced any "button rattle" problems. Maybe if you shook it hard the buttons may rattle but I would hate to look at the pictures it was producing at the time.

Your "looking the part"comment is understandable, but with the price difference you can afford a pretty impressive mic to mount on it and it will still look the part.

Cheers

dellwovideo's picture

I hear you on the looking the part. I market my vixia HF S200 is 'unobtrussive' to my wedding clients. Once I get my second T3i, I'll change that marketing to "the incredible low light abilty of a large sensor camera with the cinematic look of film."

When I was transitioning from SD to HD, I had my Canon XL-1 with full audio package set up next to my S200. Got LOADS of comments on the XL-1 about how great a camera it was. Sadly, the little camera next to it blew it away for quality.

It might seem a little hoaky, but you can get arod systemwith matte box and shoulder pad on Amazon for$160. People seem to think french flags on a matte box and rods turn your camera into a Hollywood film camera and that you suddenly know what you're doing. lol

Tim_Hughes_TX's picture

Hey Joseph, good call on the additional equipment. I've been looking on amazon for those items, all I keep running into is DSLR rigs, will these work for my camera? I would assume they would, but I don't want to buy them and they end up as the wrong size.