You are here

Canon Vixia Hf20

Orlando136's picture

Hi! I'm new here and I would like you guys to give me some ideas on how to make The Canon Vixia's 24p (through pulldown) to look even more like film because my videos have that sort of blurriness that you find in film but they don't run as smoothly. The image is great but isn't there a plug-in for Sony Vegas 8.0 Pro to make everything more "dreamy" and soft? Thankz

I am working and trying to be a filmmaker and I've been reading a lot about filmmaking so I bought a couple of books and I can say I'm a little bit knowlegeable about what to do as a director but I don't have a lot of money to rent a Genesis or a Panavison camera so I have to work with what I have. I'll keep you updated about my first effeort. I wrote 2 scripts, 1 es suppsed to be a short and the other almost a feature lengh film (maybe 70 minutes long). I hope to start shooting by July so any help would be more than welcome. :)

Another thing..do you think I should make the whole white balancing process in-camera or doing the post-production?

hmueller's picture

Whenever possible, do the white balance in camera at the time of shooting.

The Canon is great. I am not sure about your model though. The Canon HV40 and the HF S20/21 should shoot 24P natively.

There are many effects in Sony Vegas but you should concentrate on your shooting tecnique first. Make sure that you use a tripod wherever possible, and that your focus is sharp. Blurriness and non-smooth video is more likely caused by technique rather than the fact that you are using 24P.

The success of your films will be determined by your sound quality. Be sure to use good external microphones with manual level adjustment which the Canon allows.

Heidi

Rex
Rex's picture
Plus Member

I had the same issue with the HF200, same as the 20 but no internal memory. I have found that if I change the shutter setting to 1/48, the film effect is amplified. Also, when editing in Sony Vegas Pro, set your properties to 1920x1080 @ 60i. 24p on the Hf 20 and 200 is just an effect. All the footage is captured at 60i regardless. I hope this helps.

Orlando136's picture

Thank you for your replies. To hmueller: thanks for the sugestion as I was not sure what was the best procedure. Another thing you said that has always bothered me was sound quality.. I'm thinking about buying one of Canon's DM-100 directional mic but is there another good alternative that doesn't cross the $100 dollar range? this also goes to rexomus and anyone who had this camera or thinks they can help.

To rexomus: so are you saying that changing to 1/48 is the better way to do it? and thankz cause I thought I had to set it to 24p but you're right. The footage is still 60i, just with the look of 24p.

hmueller's picture

Azden.com is agood source of inexpensive mics. They have a stereo shotgun mic for about $100

Rex
Rex's picture
Plus Member

Using different shutter speeds will produced a better feel to your footage when motion is involved.

Videomaker had a good article about making your footage appear more film like.

http://www.videomaker.com/article/12720/

also, read this article too

http://www.videomaker.com/article/13747/

As for sound. Depending on the project, I use wireless lapel mics. Audio Technica pro-88w is a good one for $150, and the microphone canon makes for the camera, 2591 B002, that fits right in to the mini shoe is good to.

Orlando136's picture

Sorry for taking too long to answer but thank you for everything. I've been making a few short clips just to test the shutter speeds and some of them really improve the look of my videos and i'll soon be getting some of those Azden microphones.